PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing desktop icons

Tony
12-05-2010, 02:38 PM
OK, here's an interesting one:

(Yet) another SeniorNet member has asked me for advice. He has an ASUS laptop, running Vista Home premium. When he boots it up, the desktop appears, together with a number of icons. After a few seconds, all the icons disappear. The sidebar remains visible.

If you right-click on the desktop and view, "Show desktop icons" is checked. If you uncheck it and close, there is no change. if you then re-check it, the icons appear!

I am guessing there is a startup program that is hiding them for some reason. (Antimalware of some sort?). Looking at the startup list there is a large number of things being started. He has gone away to selectively disable the startups until the problem (maybe) goes away, but I wondered if anyone here had encountered this and knows the solution?

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Lack of memory maybe? How much ram is on it

Tony
12-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Lack of memory maybe? How much ram is on itDon't know, but I would have thought on a computer less than a year old memory should not be a problem. Even if it was stripped down to a price. And how come the icons can be made to re-appear?

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I have no idea. Altho one site a guy got rid of some viruses after booting in to safe mode then scanning. After he noticed the icons kept disappearing

Could be one of these (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=disappearing+icons+in+vista&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Tony
12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I have no idea. Altho one site a guy got rid of some viruses after booting in to safe mode then scanning. After he noticed the icons kept disappearing

Could be one of these (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=disappearing+icons+in+vista&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)D'oh! I'd come straight home and straight to PressF1 - always my first port of call, even before Google. In fact one of the links you gave me pointed at what looks like the exact problem - something to do with the ASUS power settings. It looks like a very weird set of options that ASUS have provided. If you are interested, look here. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic167506.html)

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Hmm interesting one program can cause so many probs !

Tony
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah, although possibly ASUS don't see it as a problem, but a feature. :) Anyway I 've passed the link on to the guy, and we'll see if he manages to fix it. Thanks for the pointer.

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Sweet !

goodiesguy
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
good luck!

what is senior net? it sounds like seniors learning how to use pc's. i think thats great!

Tony
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
what is senior net? it sounds like seniors learning how to use pc's. i think thats great!That's exactly what it is. It is an international bunch of individual clubs that teach seniors how to use computers. Here (http://www.seniornet.org.nz/) is the NZ Federation website. I belong to the West Auckland club, but there are clubs all over the place.

I spent this morning teaching an internet and email class, this afternoon there was a TradeMe class, and tomorrow there is a Word Processing class - for instance.

There is a huge range of skills and ages, from relatively junior (like me) up to people their 80s.

goodiesguy
12-05-2010, 05:54 PM
wow! im 14 and did'nt know that seniors would wont to use a computer. great job, and keep going!

Tony
12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
wow! im 14 and did'nt know that seniors would wont to use a computer. great job, and keep going!No disrespect, but I think you're showing your age there. :) Why wouldn't they? Many of them have grandkids your age, and want to keep in touch with them via email and skype and want to send them photos they've taken with their digital cameras, and many are just interested in tech stuff for its own sake. Some of course have been involved in computers since well before you were a twinkle in your Daddy's eye - I first started writing programs in about 1967, and started working for IBM as a computer operator in 1968.

goodiesguy
12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
nice. what country did you work for IBM in? if its new zealand i'll be very suprised as we are very behind in technology

Sweep
12-05-2010, 07:22 PM
I started in NZ programming in COBOL on a Burroughs 3500 in the late '60s. I also help with SeniorNet.

Tony
12-05-2010, 08:09 PM
nice. what country did you work for IBM in? if its new zealand i'll be very suprised as we are very behind in technologyI worked for the IBM development laboratories in southern England, where they developed new computers, new disk drive technologies, programming languages and some of the original ATM machines. I well remember helping with the testing of the ATMs, where we were given (under strict security) wads of money and prototype ATM cards, and had to try and make the machines malfunction.

I think you are being a bit unkind to NZ. What you say may have been true once, and may still have a bit of truth in the consumer electronics area, but I think we are right up there in may areas of advanced technology.

Tony
12-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I started in NZ programming in COBOL on a Burroughs 3500 in the late '60s. I also help with SeniorNet.I was a PL/1 man - although I have had to stoop to some COBOL :) when the contract demanded it.
Which SeniorNet club are you involved with?

goodiesguy
12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I Feel sorry for new zealand (im a kiwi, neva been out of nz). we didint get tv till 1960. and color tv till 1973. way behind the uk. but then, the uk is awesome. I love "The Benny Hill Show"

Tony
18-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Just keep everybody informed, changing the ASUS power settings fixed the disappearing icons problem. Thanks to Speedy for the pointer.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Sweet, good to hear its fixed !

Jen
18-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Bit late for the party, but my Asus laptop lost the icons too occasionally and I worked it out to be the power saving management option. I just leave it on Power4Gear High Performance now as it spends most of the time on mains.

I mean seriously, how much power does a few icons suck up?! :lol:

GameJunkie
18-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Bit late for the party, but my Asus laptop lost the icons too occasionally and I worked it out to be the power saving management option. I just leave it on Power4Gear High Performance now as it spends most of the time on mains.

I mean seriously, how much power does a few icons suck up?! :lol:

define a few icons :D
i only got the recycle bin on my laptop