PDA

View Full Version : Half-blind colleague requires XP font help.

Artichoke
12-05-2010, 01:36 PM
One of my colleagues, a lovely girl who frequently shares out chocolate to her workmates, has been running her LCD monitor at a lower-than-native resolution. I fixed this for her, giving her a much clearer view of the cyber-world, but then discovered that her eyesight is pretty crap and she likes big icons and fonts, such as the lower resolution gave her. I sorted most of this for her but we're one step away from perfection:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc10/bogchook/Posts/ScreenshotFonts.png

I can't find an option for changing the fonts within windows such as the one I've circled in red on the screenshot. Can this be done?

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Whats font size do?

Artichoke
12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Within the advanced options you can change the appearance of all manner of text elements, but not obviously these.

kamo1
12-05-2010, 04:53 PM
If it's font size you are talking about, then in your picture shown, on the font size drop down menu, click on extra large.
In the Effects button, put a checkmark on large icons, by clicking on the small box.
Click Apply & OK to see if that's what she is after.

Paul.Cov
12-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Make sure she also knows of the Ctrl+ function to zoom text up in Firefox and various other apps.

There's also the magnifier option somewhere via control panel if her vision is really poor.

I hope she's had eye examination, diagnosis and treatment (if an option) for her visual issues.

I'm an optometrist when I'm not wasting my life on a computer, so I may be able to offer advice or explaination for her woes if she wants someone to take the time to answer her queries.

Artichoke
17-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody, but none are doing what we need. If you look at my picture, the red circle is around an example of species of text in XP windows that doesn't change, no matter what I change in all the different options. Even setting XP to extra large fonts has no effect on these pieces of text. It's got me puzzled.

And thanks for your offer, Paul, but our young lady's vision is as sorted as it will likely ever be. She was diagnosed with astigmatism and likes big chunky fonts - she says skinny ones simply seem to disappear when she looks at them.

KarameaDave
17-05-2010, 01:52 PM
If you click on the advanced button you can specify font size and attributes for all different parts of windows including the various texts

KarameaDave
17-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I see Artichoke has already covered that one:o
One day I'll learn to read every post properly.

Anyhoo, have you tried adjusting the fonts' DPI?
That is another way.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_use_large_or_small_fonts.mspx?mfr=true

note: This can have a dramatic effect on some elements on screen.

kamo1
17-05-2010, 03:05 PM
You can try this option.
Go to Control Panel/Accessibility Option and click on the 'Display' tab.
Click in the box - Use High Contrast.
Then click on the Settings option and in the High Contrast appearance scheme with the drop down menu, choose a setting that suits, like Windows Standard extra large for example. Probably it's best to try out other settings to see which is best.

Agent_24
18-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Change the DPI settings?

Artichoke
21-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, tried that too. Changed everything but text like that circled in my picture.

Artichoke
21-05-2010, 03:44 PM
You can try this option.
Go to Control Panel/Accessibility Option and click on the 'Display' tab.
Click in the box - Use High Contrast.
Then click on the Settings option and in the High Contrast appearance scheme with the drop down menu, choose a setting that suits, like Windows Standard extra large for example. Probably it's best to try out other settings to see which is best.

Yup, we tried some of the other schemes in there, and once again everything changed but the text we wanted to change! Amazing isn't it? Unfortunately this issue makes or breaks the whole screen resolution thing for Miss Magoo. So far she can't have it both ways.

kamo1
21-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Yup, we tried some of the other schemes in there, and once again everything changed but the text we wanted to change! Amazing isn't it? Unfortunately this issue makes or breaks the whole screen resolution thing for Miss Magoo. So far she can't have it both ways.

I don't know what you meant with "breaks the whole screen resolution"
What I think you should do is change two settings together. The first one should be the font size in the 'Appearance' tab to extra large fonts. When you finished with that go to the 'Settings' tab and click on the Advanced tab. In the Display DPI setting, set it to Large size(120 DPI) or do a custom setting to set it to your requirements. Click Apply and OK, then restart the system.
If this does not work, then I am sorry I can't help your friend.

Artichoke
26-05-2010, 04:47 PM
What I meant was, this font thing "makes or breaks" Miss Magoo's ability to raise her screen resolution to the native setting. I'm hugely grateful for everybody's suggestions but I'm not sure anybody's quite grasped the problem. Take a look at the following screenshot, which was taken with everybody's mods applied to Windows XP:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc10/bogchook/Posts/ScreenshotFonts2.png (Windows Fonts Screenshot)

As you can see, certain text remains at the default unmodified size, and Miss Magoo cannot read it. Her only solution is to drop the monitor a resolution setting, which increases the size of the text for her, but gives a fuzzy image.

Sweep
26-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I can the see problem but the link you just posted is broken.

Takes me here:- http://windows%20fonts%20screenshot/

The earlier screenshot was fine.

Artichoke
26-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Dunno what I did there! Try this:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc10/bogchook/Posts/ScreenshotFonts2.png

You should, ah, get the picture.