PDA

View Full Version : Recovery/Restoration

Mervyn
12-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I purchased an HP Laptop via Trademe.It has XP PRO running and a registration sticker for Vista Ultimate. Seller advises it came with Vista installed but he had XP installed. System Properties show an OEM registration. I am advised it was a legitimate purchase and installation but concerned there are no Recovery/Restoration disks. Is there any action I can take to cover this lack? I prefer XP PRO to Vista Mervyn

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
It wont have a recovery partition on it if vista was on it originally. You'll have to use a 3rd party program

Lawrence
12-05-2010, 01:39 PM
If XP Pro was loaded inplace of vista ,would not the recovery partition with Vista still be there?
Only if everything was wiped for XP would the Recovery partition be gone

Did a clean install from Vista to Win 7 and wiped recovery partition to start from a clean slate

wainuitech
12-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I am advised it was a legitimate purchase and installation but concerned there are no Recovery/Restoration disks Thats alone sounds a bit fishy. You should have been given the CD & COA that goes with it.

Call me skeptical but I have seen many times when people have XP Pro pre-installed, esp from sellers off of trade-me - and no CD or actual legit product key- and the thing is illegal.

One way to check - download and run Keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/) - it will tell you the XP Product key - then copy/paste that key into a Google search. USUALLY if its legit, it wont find anything - if its pirated/fake the results will light up like a Xmas tree from torrent sites and alike.

IF its legit, then you will need to get hold of a XP Pro OEM CD if you want a recovery.

Another way is to backup the whole drive as currently is, something like the free Paragon Backup and recovery (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/) will do it

Mervyn
12-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Can you recommend one and give me a run down on how to do it please

Mervyn

SP8's
12-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Speedy .... just did a restore of a Chinese Toshiba with Vista Home Basic. Made recovery disks and used them and everything went OK. Went to partition the HD after everything was going and discovered it has a hidden 5Gig recovery partition (z) drive.

Used easuas partition manager and it showed up - unless the re-install with recovery disks partitioned it. Can't read Chinese so only went off daughters lappy as guide.

pctek
08-06-2010, 07:26 PM
HP Laptop via Trademe.It has XP PRO running and a registration sticker for Vista Ultimate. Seller advises it came with Vista installed but he had XP installed.
there are no Recovery/Restoration disks. Is there any action

Vista Ultimate was entitled to an XP Pro downgrade. But, to get that it would have come with a set of XP Pro recovery CDs. If it didn't, its dodgy and I'd get your money back.
It's an HP laptop anyway so there's a good reason to avoid it in the first place.