PDA

View Full Version : Odd lock up while reading on a forum

Billy T
12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi Team

Had the first hiccup with my new computer last night, I was reading a forum post on a UK site (same software as PF1), clicked to go back to the previous page and it froze solid. Funny thing was that my mouse remained active and I could move the pointer around at will but couldn't do anything else with it.

Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing so I had to reboot, at which point it seems my Raid array had a hissy fit and when the comp restarted a flashing icon in the system tray told me that a volume initialisation was in progress. I guess that was the Raid program rewriting one or both of the disks. I could still use the computer but decided that probably wasn't a good idea so I turned it off when it finished, had an early night and everything seemed normal when I started it up this morning.

Is that web lock-up a common behaviour? I've never experienced anything like it before in 15 years of computing and five operating systems before Xp. Also, is 'Volume Initialisation' normal behaviour for Raid systems?

Come to think of it, another odd thing happened when I shut down Monday evening! I got the message 'other people are logged on to this computer'. I am operating the same as I did with W2K on my old computer, I'm hidden behind a NAT router, which hasn't changed and MS security Essentials are loaded. I don't visit dodgy sites and all email is checked through Mailwasher and only known or 'verified source' emails are ever downloaded.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sweep
12-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Now that is strange.

This morning I got a BSOD with Win7/64 and reading PressF1. I don't have a RAID array. I do run MSE though.

Paul.Cov
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I got the same... I'm wondering if all three of us may have been hit by the vodafone issues this morning, or if it's some other gremlin.

KarameaDave
12-05-2010, 08:34 PM
No probs with Telstraclear cable/Linux Mint...but then, I suppose there wouldn't be!

Sweep
12-05-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm with Xtra

Speedy Gonzales
12-05-2010, 09:05 PM
What browser? Opera 10.52 had probs. If there was a BSOD what did that say??

Billy T
13-05-2010, 03:53 PM
What browser? Opera 10.52 had probs. If there was a BSOD what did that say??

Browser Firefox V3.5.9 and up to date AFAIK, I only installed it and updated a week or so back. No BSOD, it just threw an unresponsive Forum webpage and left a movable mouse pointer but no other mouse functions.

A reboot seemed to be the only way out, though I suppose I could have left it overnight to see if it came right. From time to time I used to get Outlook lockups on the old W2K box with a 'not responding' message and the drive light on but no disk activity noises. If I killed it and rebooted I usually had Outlook problems, but if I went away and did something else for an hour or so while it sorted itself out, it would be responsive again when I came back.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PS Old box is still working ok Speedy, though I've transferred all data off it now. There's just a few DOS programs I haven't loaded on the new one yet so I turn it on to process that data. Sometimes takes two boots to get it's heart ticking, and it is set to check and repair C on every boot.

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Cool, good to hear the old hdd is still alive. Umm, I would update FF to 3.6.3. Which is the latest version atm. See if it makes any diff

Murray P
13-05-2010, 04:15 PM
You say it's a new box, Billy. How'd you copme across this shiny new thing, build or off the shelf or custom built for you?

The lock up could be be a RAM or some other hardware connection issue. I'd look at RAM or PSU though, or even a heat issue, first up.

Also, check for update to your RAID software/BIOS, more looking for known issues than a firmware upgrade at this point.

Even though it didn't thrown a BSOD or memory sump in your face, check out your Event viewers for signs of distress (pretty much the same place as Win2k, Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer).

The other users logged on is just an XP thing (I don't remember it with good ol Win2k...) where you may have logged out or switched users or initially started off as Admin to do something/updates and you/it hasn't let go.

Billy T
13-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Custom built by Computer Lounge. I haven't added any new users so I'm still running under the original administrator logon used during the build, which is why the "another user logged on" message surprised me somewhat.

The RAID software and BIOS should be the latest, I'd be disappointed if CL didn't upgrade at the time of building.

I've looked at the event logs etc and there is screeds of stuff there but only a few Yellow triangle or Red alerts. I'll post a selection tomorrow.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Shops dont always update the BIOS. Unless it was already on it, or a CPU you brought (didnt work), and the BIOS needed to be flashed (before you installed the CPU), to support it. You would have to tell them, since they probably wouldnt know.

Billy T
14-05-2010, 04:17 PM
OK, I've trolled through the Event Viewer logs and found some fairly interesting stuff that I don't really understand at all.

Keeping in mind that the lock-up occurred on May 11th, I have found the following:

1) Firstly, 'Security' and 'Internet Explorer' show no events but the latter isn't installed anyway so that is not surprising.

2) The 'ACEEventlog' is full of Blue information i's but says 0 events, so I assume those are routine checks that found nothing

3) 'Application' has 743 events logged including a string of 20 consecutive red 'Error' messages for Windows Search Service all back on May 6th, Sample below:

---------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows Search Service
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 3013
Date: 6/05/2010
Time: 3:40:54 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: JOHN-4BCEAEFCBF
Description:
The entry <MAPI://{S-1-5-21-2025429265-1078145449-682003330-1003}/PERSONAL FOLDERS($79C41F50)/X/DELETED ITEMS/VICTORIA> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)
---------------------------------

After 20 of the above notifications the following was shown:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Windows Search Service
Event Category: Search service
Event ID: 1015
Date: 6/05/2010
Time: 4:09:41 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: JOHN-4BCEAEFCBF

Description:
Event ID 3013 for the Windows Search Service has been suppressed 4 time(s) since 3:41:22 PM. This event is used to suppress Windows Search Service events that have occurred frequently within a short period of time. See Event ID 3013 for further details on this event.

'Security Center Service' started on May 7th.

4) There are 2,240 events in the System log, the vast majority being for 'Service Control Manager' but I don't like the ones that say 'The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control' as there should be no remote access to this computer that I am aware of.

There were 4 instances of 'The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.' about the time that the computer froze.

The next one gives me conniptions, I don't like reading about remote computers, but I guess anything I connect to on the web is a 'remote computer' so it may be quite innocent:

The description for Event ID ( 18 ) in Source ( PciSPorts ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details.

This has turned up several times since late March for my Raid data disk(s) An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation. and I am wondering if it is indicative of an incipient disk fault. (D is one of a number of partitions on that drive, but the only other one that is active is the paging file and that one has thrown several error messages!

The computer seems to be functioning normally with no apparent issues, but I am a little bit leery about the possibility that one of my RAID data drives might be dodgy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Are you using anything by trendmicro?? Looks like that 0x8007001f error may have something to do with it. Or this ? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319445). You can disable windows search in services if you want. You dont need it

Billy T
14-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Are you using anything by trendmicro?? Looks like that 0x8007001f error may have something to do with it. Or this ? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319445). You can disable windows search in services if you want. You dont need it

Nope, no Trend Micro that I am aware of, and no video capture cards either. I'm not familiar with Windows Search either, unless it is their 'find a file' search function. I very occasionally use that, but normally search with ZTree because that is much faster and more reliable.

I've downloaded TeamViewerQS in case I need somebody to take a look at these logs but the computer is under warranty of course and if the finger is pointed at one of the two RAID data disks I'll get it changed.

While I'm on that point, I was going to buy a spare drive anyway in case one clapped out, and I assume that changing a RAID disk will see it written with all the data automatically anyway, just as it would if a disk dropped dead and I replaced it with a new unformatted disk?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)