PDA

View Full Version : External modem for Windows7

milo3
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Recently we purchased a new HP Elite computer with Windows 7. Unfortunately the manufacturer’s data sheet, the retailer’s advert, and the salesman all neglected to mention it did not have an internal modem. As we are in an area which cannot get broadband we have to rely on dial-up. To compound the problem it was difficult to find an external modem for Windows 7. Dick Smith sells an external modem but it will not work on Windows 7. Eventually we found a D-Link DU-562M and were able to get a driver for Window 7. The problem is the external modem only gets 31.2 kbps as a rule and around 40 on a very good day. The internal modem on the older computer regularly hooked up at 50.6. And my laptop with an internal modem, on the same phone line, consistently gets 49.2. We have gone over everything with Xtra, and have contacted D-Link, all to no avail. Does anyone know of any other external modems available for Windows 7, or have any suggestions. Wireless appears to be out where we are and satellite may be outside our budget.

Nomad
12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
If you cannot find one, networking the 2 computers is one method.

Safari
12-05-2010, 01:36 PM
The speed the modem connects at does not always mean much as the actual download speed will be controlled by the modem to adjust for your line conditions.

If you do some speed tests with the different computers you may find that your actual download speeds are not much different for the various connect speeds.

inphinity
12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately the manufacturer’s data sheet, the retailer’s advert, and the salesman all neglected to mention it did not have an internal modem.

"Unfortunately, we failed to check the manufacturer's data sheet, the retailer's advert, or ask the salesman if it had an internal modem, a specific requirement of ours that is very rare these days."

You may try ensuring you have the most recent driver for the modem, that the Region for the modem is set to New Zealand, and also try setting the port speed for it to 57600 (it's probably 115200 by default - which normally is fine but if you are having issues, lowering it can help under some circumstances).

I'd also be interested in the results of a speedtest (either speedtest.net, or Xtra's speed test) comparison between the laptop and the desktop w/ external modem.

Safari
12-05-2010, 03:31 PM
"Unfortunately, we failed to check the manufacturer's data sheet, the retailer's advert, or ask the salesman if it had an internal modem, a specific requirement of ours that is very rare these days."

You may try ensuring you have the most recent driver for the modem, that the Region for the modem is set to New Zealand, and also try setting the port speed for it to 57600 (it's probably 115200 by default - which normally is fine but if you are having issues, lowering it can help under some circumstances).

I'd also be interested in the results of a speedtest (either speedtest.net, or Xtra's speed test) comparison between the laptop and the desktop w/ external modem.

Also try forcing a V90 connection by adding +MS=V90 in the modem properties/Advanced when you lower the speed to 57600

rumpty
12-05-2010, 07:25 PM
My old E-Tech external modem seems to work ok in W7. The W2000 driver was accepted, and it connects to my Freenet account at 49.2kb/s.

mzee
13-05-2010, 12:59 AM
The USB 56k modem from Dick Smith's works fine with W7 and Vista, I have one, just plug it in, no software required. W98/ME require a driver, supplied.

Dick Smith's told me that it wouldn't work but they were really not interested.

pctek
13-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Recently we purchased a new HP Elite computer with Windows 7. Unfortunately the manufacturer’s data sheet, the retailer’s advert, and the salesman all neglected to mention it did not have an internal modem.

Eventually we found a D-Link DU-562M and only gets 31.2 kbps
satellite may be outside our budget.

First never buy a computer from a toaster shop. Buy a real computer from a real PC shop.

Second, check satellite, you don't know if you don't look, Farmside dropped their prices not long ago.

Third, you get 31.2 because it isn't compatible with Win7 64bit.
I have tried loads of modems as I was recently tech for various rural people and what works 100% is the external SERIAL US Robotics. Unfortuneately they are hard to find now. Try Trademe.

I have 3 of them but as I am still in the process of moving my stuff is not here with me yet.

Alex B
13-05-2010, 11:49 AM
What toaster stores sell HP Elitebooks?

Nomad
13-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Getting a serial port on new PCs could be a struggle. May need a internal card.
DSE seems the way to go if that works via USB.

milo3
13-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Many thanks for all the advice.
Did not understand the difference between connection speed and download speed.
A test with speedtest.net on the desktop and external modem at 31.2 gave ping 275, download 0.02, upload 0.11.
Same line on my laptop with internal modem at 49.2 gave ping 229, download 0.02, upload 0.07.
So no loss in download speed despite slower connection.
Had already downloaded latest driverfor 64bit and the region is New Zealand. Had tried lowering port speed but it made no difference.
Will try Dick Smith modem to see how it performs.

Trev
13-05-2010, 01:05 PM
The connection speed is the speed the modem connects to your ISP when you first dial up. It will always vary. Has nothing to do with download speeds.
:)

pctek
13-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Getting a serial port on new PCs could be a struggle. .

Most new boards have a com port, if not they have an internal connector.

milo3
22-05-2010, 03:49 PM
For anyone still interested I purchased a Dick Smith external modem and hooked it up without running the disk and it works fine on Windows 7. Did not download any drivers. It hooks up at 48 kbps consistantly while the D-Link only manages 31.2, so I am happy. Thanks for all the help and advice.