PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Failure?

FaultiestScarab
11-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey!

I've got a 160GB Seagate SATA drive that I have had for maybe ... 4 or 5 years now? Never had a problem with it. It's partitioned into 3 drives and has roughly 50 ~ 60% used and has never been full that I know of. It isn't my the drive that has windows installed on it.

About a week ago I noticed I turned the computer on and the drive(s) didn't show up in Windows. I checked the cables and nothing was loose at all. After a reboot the drive showed back up. Didn't happen again until this morning when the drive again didn't show up. Have come home from work after doing nothing to the computer at all and it had shown up once again. I'm running a bad sector check at the moment but does this mean the drive is faulty? Just thought I would ask while I wait for the check to finish (looks like it is going to take a while).

Just to note, I can't find any files that have been corrupted. One of the partioned drives is my music drive and I have played some songs I wouldn't have listened to in over 3 years and they seem to be fine. I also have some disc images saved (between 5 ~ 8gb's) and they seem to be fine as well ....

Oh one thing that I have noticed is that the LED for the hard drive on the front of my case had been perminantly on over the last coupe of days, even when I'm doing nothing?

wainuitech
11-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Could be the Drive, But could also be a faulty SATA Cable, also change the power Plug to the drive, could be a connection fault in that as well.

It may also be the motherboard. Try a different SATA Connection on the board.

Change only ONE thing at a time. that way you know what is or isn't working if it fixes the problem.

I'm running a bad sector check at the moment but does this mean the drive is faulty? Bad sectors are faults, but the fault may be on the circuit board / connections on the drive as well. "Normally" with bad sectors there's data lose involved.

By the sounds of it, its losing connections when its cold (the PC)

robbyp
11-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey!

I've got a 160GB Seagate SATA drive that I have had for maybe ... 4 or 5 years now? Never had a problem with it. It's partitioned into 3 drives and has roughly 50 ~ 60% used and has never been full that I know of. It isn't my the drive that has windows installed on it.

About a week ago I noticed I turned the computer on and the drive(s) didn't show up in Windows. I checked the cables and nothing was loose at all. After a reboot the drive showed back up. Didn't happen again until this morning when the drive again didn't show up. Have come home from work after doing nothing to the computer at all and it had shown up once again. I'm running a bad sector check at the moment but does this mean the drive is faulty? Just thought I would ask while I wait for the check to finish (looks like it is going to take a while).

Just to note, I can't find any files that have been corrupted. One of the partioned drives is my music drive and I have played some songs I wouldn't have listened to in over 3 years and they seem to be fine. I also have some disc images saved (between 5 ~ 8gb's) and they seem to be fine as well ....

Oh one thing that I have noticed is that the LED for the hard drive on the front of my case had been perminantly on over the last coupe of days, even when I'm doing nothing?

You may just want to replace the drive, and possibly use that one as a secondary drive, as it is quite old for a hard drive. You are better to be safe than sorry.

pctek
11-05-2010, 08:08 PM
You could try the cable but I'd suspect the drive. It's happened that way to me and then the thing lost it's controller permanently.

If that happens it will be rather a mission to retrieve your stuff off it.

george12
11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
As others have said it could be the drive, the cable or the motherboard.

However, I strongly suggest that if the data is of any value, you back it up NOW while the drive is still accessible. Whatever the problem is, it's likely to get worse, and if it is the drive you will be in for lost data or a big recovery bill.

Poking about with the connections could easily cause a bad solder joint on the drive (if that is the problem, which it may be) to permanently lose connection, thus turning your intermittant fault into a permanent one.

In other words, attempt to back up before you even bother to investigate the problem, if you value your data.

FaultiestScarab
11-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I'll give the cables / socket a try first. Will do them both at once and see if the problem continues. I have just a couple of weeks ago pulled everything out and given it a clean, it may have been that .... But it's taken a while to show up.

I also downloaded Seagates drive checking software as I couldn't be bothered waiting for the Windows thing to finish and after running all the tests it couldn't find anything wrong, so I'm going with the cables. I highly doubt it's the motherboard though.

One more thought ... Could it be that I'm running too many things off one power port off the power supply / power cable? I could always move the fans for the case to another port off the power supply and have my drives running on their own?

KarameaDave
11-05-2010, 09:51 PM
One thing at a time is the only way to be sure as to what the issue is.
Some SATA cables become a bit loose after repeated disconnections
and reconnections. I secure them with a small piece of tape in that case.