PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to monitor data usage?

utopian201
11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi
What programs do you use to track your broadband data usage? I did a search and tautology and netmeter showed up.

Do these differentiate between LAN traffic and WAN/Internet traffic?

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Xnet's usage monitor. Altho I probably dont need one, I've never been over what I allocated 3 yrs ago - 15 GB a mth.

utopian201
11-05-2010, 05:41 PM
but what about if you are sharing the internet and you dont want to go over your share of the data?

Mike
11-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi
What programs do you use to track your broadband data usage? I did a search and tautology and netmeter showed up.

Do these differentiate between LAN traffic and WAN/Internet traffic?I'm with Slingshot - they have a URL you can go to that updates every 20 minutes or so with your data usage (and a whole bunch of other info) - I've got a script that pulls that data into a SQL db every hour and an internal webpage that displays how much I've used...

I don't know if other ISPs have something similar, but I find it very useful. It keeps track of my monthly allowance, cumulative use, and how much I've got left of both monthly and cumulative total (eg 1gb per day, so at 10th day of month I could have downloaded 10gb to sit nicely within monthly allowance... if I've only used 6gb by 10th of month then I can freely download 4gb more without screwing up the rest of the month). Also keeps track of whether in Peak or Off-peak so I know if I'm using up monthly quota or not.

Cheers,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
It counts that too (there's 3 PC's here soon to be 4 that are on the net). Doesnt matter if it goes over. The speed will go down. Till the next month. There is no share of the data here. Since there's only 2 of us here, and I'm the only one paying for net access. The only thing that updates on the other 2 PC's is MSSE. Everything else, I download onto this PC, and copy it across the network. Saves me getting it 3 times. This inc updates for windows. All the updates are on this, (for 2k/XP/Vista/Win7) in case I format any of these. Saves me getting them again.

Nomad
11-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah the Xnet monitor or any URL monitor shows you what your modem has used. If you have used 2GB but your bro used 15GB, it will show 17GB.

If you wanna limit how much other people in your house can use .. then I dunno.

Mike
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Probably through a proxy server that allocates internet to each PC would do what you're wanting.

Mike.

utopian201
11-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm pretty sure everything that has been mentioned so far only counts the total internet used by all computers. Is my assumption correct?

Yeah the Xnet monitor or any URL monitor shows you what your modem has used. If you have used 2GB but your bro used 15GB, it will show 17GB.

If you wanna limit how much other people in your house can use .. then I dunno.

I'm not wanting to limit how much others in the house can use (my router already does that). I just want to find out how much -MY- computer has used so far so I dont use more than my fair share. Is there anything that will tell me what I have used personally? As I said, I found tautology and netmeter, but I don't know if they differentiate between WAN and LAN traffic (important because sometimes we transfer several gb of data across the LAN)

The router has this per user information but I am not going to give the router's admin login username and password to everyone so they can check. I'd rather they run a program on their own computer.

inphinity
11-05-2010, 05:56 PM
If you want to track individual traffic usage by PC, the most accurate way is to set up a proxy or a gateway as Mike touched on (either on a PC or a router with relevant tracking software). Or else you could use software like Netmeter - I believe it allows you to differentiate between WAN and LAN traffic to a degree - though thats far less reliable from a viewpoint of keeping within your ISP-imposed usage limits.

Roger Hunt
11-05-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ try this its free works well

kamo1
11-05-2010, 06:11 PM
You can also try out networx, install it on your computer and configure it to inform you when you go over your limit. You can get it from http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
This - Netlimiter? (http://www.netlimiter.com/)

Agent_24
11-05-2010, 06:15 PM
The best way is to check with your ISP.

Traffic usage checker is a great way to do this so you don't have to go to their website and login every time.

http://www.tuc.co.nz/

Netmeter and similar are good but any LAN transfers also add to the measurement and so you get a false result.

utopian201
11-05-2010, 06:19 PM
thanks for your suggestions, I think BMextreme fits the bill, since it differentiates between WAN and LAN traffic.
Thought I'd post it here so if anyone else tries to search this forum, they'll find it :)

I guess since no one else uses this, everyone either doesn't share their internet, or it doesn't matter if they use more than their fair share...? (eg flatmates etc)

somebody
11-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I use http://www.webgauge.co.nz/

Agent_24
11-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I have Big Time without a cap so nothing matters.

pctek
11-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi
What programs do you use to track your broadband data usage?

My bill. :rolleyes: