PDA

View Full Version : router change

goodiesguy
11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
at the moment we have an Dynalink RTA1320 hooked up in our lounge with the ethernet cord goin into and apple wireless thing that plugs into the wall and sends the wireless singnal round the house with WPA-PSK2 Encryption or watever is the best, it has.

im thinking of changing the router from the rta1320 to a D-Link ASDL router model number: DSL-302G. the last time i started this (ages ago) i tried to get into the router settings but it seems that someones changed it from the default isp address (got it from a friend). it does have a reset hole, but would like to know how to get it going better so my family will have a stronger interent connection. at the moment pingtest.net gives us a B with the rta1320. also i keep getting disconnected ocasionally, so i think the rta1320 is getting past its use by date.

wainuitech
11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
With the router connected into a PC, open a command prompt, type in ipconfig the default gateway is the routers IP.

Re the DSL-302G - not exactly the best modem about, there are better.

Sweep
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
With the router connected into a PC, open a command prompt, type in ipconfig the default gateway is the routers IP.

Re the DSL-302G - not exactly the best router about, there are better.

Agreed re the DSL-302G. My one still works fortunately but if I was to buy a new one it would not be my first choice.

I do wonder what the apple wireless thing is.

goodiesguy
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
is it better than the RTA1320?

Apple wireless thing: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ uncle gave it 2 us

Sweep
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
is it better than the RTA1320?

Apple wireless thing: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ uncle gave it 2 us

As it happens I have an RTA1320 here which I am told does not work after 4 months use. I will be checking it out later today but of the two I would use a 302G. I bought it around 3 years ago and it still goes.

inphinity
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
It's not necessarily the router if you have poor connection, it may be the phone line etc. It may be worth borrowing a different router from someone temporarily to see if the connection improves before buying.

goodiesguy
11-05-2010, 11:35 AM
i have a DSL-302G rite infront of me. it was given 2 me a while back. i just wondered if it would be better hooking it up. i only wanna hook it up if i know its better. i know it will look nicer too

Safari
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Agree it may not be the modem. Could just be a weak wireless signal.

Why not connect direct to the RTA1320 by ethernet to confirm if you still have a problem

goodiesguy
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
well it only ocasionally disconnects. i am gonna move the apple wireless thing as its not in the greatest place. i do get a 4/5 bar signal (4 bars out of 5) on my tp-link tl-wn821n (tho i have a belkin wireless n usb wirless stick too , if thats better, tho i dont use it.), rite as im riting the exact peice of sentince it has just gone to local only. its back. vista problem?

Safari
11-05-2010, 11:58 AM
The local only problem is a Vista issue.
Do a Google search for Vista local only and you will see what I mean

utopian201
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I thought the RTA1320 is one of the better modems. If you are technically inclined, it supports PPP half bridge mode - which means when it can simply be a modem and leave all the routing to your actual router.
ie it exposes your router's mac address to the internet, rather than the modem's.

This really only matters if you have a large number of connections (eg running torrents) or many users each running multiple programs which need multiple connections each.

inphinity
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
What actual issues are you having with your internet connection as it is at present?

KarameaDave
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
This may help with your Vista network issue.
http://www.home-network-help.com/access-local-only.html

goodiesguy
11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
thanks for all the help. im gonna update to service pack 2 soon. oh and i have another issue which is important, i dont know whether to post on this or a new topic

WarNox
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I had the RTA1320, have had about 3 of them over the years, 2 have broken :) They do get really hot in use. I've disabled the DHCP on it and it is now just a modem, although I didn't play around with the half bridge mode.

Your ISP will be able to see the number of disconnections per day, if there is a sudden increase they will do some testing. My disconnections went from 0 to 30 per day so they sent me out a new RTA1320, uploaded the config file and all was working again. This is with Orcon.

I've also had one of those Telecom Dlinks before and they're pretty **** :) I'd recommend the RTA1320 over it.

Agent_24
11-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I would use RTA1320 over DSL-302G.

The DSL-302G is quite old now and pretty horrible actually. I would get disconnections and other problems trying to run bittorrent.

the DSL-502T is much better but the web-interface is pretty stupid.

I'm really happy with my RTA1320 so far...

They do seem to run pretty hot though, and when I looked in mine it was using pretty cheap capacitors. I would say they would probably be the point of failure. Reminds me I should replace the ones in mine with some Rubycons...

utopian201
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
For those interested in PPP half bridge mode:
If you find that pages don't load and nothing happens (page cannot be displayed/pages time out) when you run torrents (or you have many people sharing the same internet connection, each running multiple programs with multiple connections each), then something that hands off the routing to your router (and not your modem) would be the way to go, eg RTA1320.

I think that is why it is popular with the nerdier people among us :)

kamo1
11-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Yes, the RTA 1320 does run very hot but it's pretty good and stable. What I did was sitting it on a small frame I made. With air flowing through and ventilated it is not as hot as it used to be. There is also a new version of the RTA 1320 which is a 1320E and it looks nicer than the 1320.

goodiesguy
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
how do you get this new 1320e? call your isp?

kamo1
11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
how do you get this new 1320e? call your isp?

Yes, call your ISP. If they are providing you with the Dynalink version, then it will be the 1320E version as the old one is not on the market anymore. Depending on your contract with your ISP, you may not have to pay for it. Just renew your contract with a new modem router.