PDA

View Full Version : Vista and dual displays

ronr
10-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I wish to run my PC and have my TV as a 2nd multiple display (each screen showing the same)

I used the NVIDA control panel and under "Setup multiple displays" to try and achive this.

I set my PC as the number 1 display and the TV and the number 2 display.

My PC screen is fine but all I get on the TV screen is a view of my Vista wallpaper (full screen)

When I reverse the displays (PC as number 2 and TV as number 1) the TV displays fine but my PC display only shows the full screen Vista wallpaper.

My O.S. is Vista.
I have a GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card.

I have tried reinstalling my GeForce drivers but the result is the same.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
10-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Check the rest of the options under multiple displays.

inphinity
10-05-2010, 02:58 PM
You're probably using the "Expand my desktop..." option when you don't want to be.

KarameaDave
10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Probably you want clone mode.

goodiesguy
10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
hello, i am having a similar problem with my ATI Radeon 9600 pro 128mb.

i have attached a picture of the cord i am using. it was given to me unused. i don't know which brand it is as it dosent say. i want to use my tv as a second monitor, or clone etc..

ATI Control Panel aint doing much and neither is vistas personalize. my driver is up to date.

and im using the the Yellow cord, i dont have s-video and im not about to

ronr
10-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys

The "Old right click" on the dispay icon brought up the options menu which I was after.
Another happy ending

Thanks again

goodiesguy
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
hello, i am having a similar problem with my ATI Radeon 9600 pro 128mb.

i have attached a picture of the cord i am using. it was given to me unused. i don't know which brand it is as it dosent say. i want to use my tv as a second monitor, or clone etc..

ATI Control Panel aint doing much and neither is vistas personalize. my driver is up to date.

and im using the the Yellow cord, i dont have s-video and im not about to

KarameaDave
10-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Does that card support TV out through VGA?
If not then you won't get it working.

goodiesguy
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM
the card does not have tv out built in. the cord has the tv out bit. the card does support tv's tho as their are options. i cant get it to work. i have the cord connected from the dvi port with a vga connecter to the av input on my tv. i mite need to restart the pc. my laptop has built in tv out and that works

KarameaDave
10-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Does the card have a VGA port?
Try it, but as I said earlier, if the card
doesn't support TV out through VGA
the adapter will not work, you would need
a VGA to TV converter.
Similar to this
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Other-electronics/Adaptors-chargers/auction-289185838.htm

For a more detailed explanation as to why the signal needs converting
you could read this
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/vga2tv/index.html

goodiesguy
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
yes but why would this cord be made in the first place? this is what it is for. if anyone has any ideas. let me know

KarameaDave
10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
It is made for a card that can convert a VGA signal
to a TV signal, if yours does, it will work.
If not, it won't, simple as that.
You could try researching the capabilities
of your card.....
(have you tried it with the actual VGA port rather than using that converter?)

goodiesguy
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
seems that you are right. sorry for wasting your time.

KarameaDave
10-05-2010, 08:45 PM
No problem, I wish I could have been able to help.

goodiesguy
10-05-2010, 09:35 PM
ah, here's something which you mite be able to help with. i've hooked up a second monitor instead (DELL E153FP) i have installed drivers. all i need help with is that its only showing at its native 1024x768 resolution wheras my main monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 740n which a friend found in a skip and gave to me, score!) is showing at 1280x1024 resolution (its max resolution which i prefer). i need the dell to be at the same resolution. They are both lcds, and the dell has a backlight issue occasionally when it hasent been on in ages (but aint an issue). my dad has an IBM lcd monitor also using the same video card as me (ATI Radeon 9600), and has the option for higher resolutions, tho he likes his at 1024x768.

sorry for all the trouble but i though i'd ask someone.

i normaly wouldnt ask for help as i figure out this kind of stuff, build my own pcs , and for others ocasionally, all the time. but i feel like poo and am off school (im 14) so i really dont have the brain power at the moment, sorry.

Speedy Gonzales
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Looks like thats the max for the Dell. So you're not going to get it any higher. Info here (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E153fpb/En/specs.htm). Put it up any higher (if it can go higher) will probably screw the display up