PDA

View Full Version : Playing Back AVCHD / .m2t files

delta whiskey
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi
I have a problem with erratic playback of movies created on my Panasonic HDC-SD9 video camera.

The format is AVCHD, and the created movie files are .m2t
I use Corel Video Studio 12 for editing, and either GOM player version 2,1,25,5017, or VLC Media Player V1.0.5 Goldeneye for playback.

My problem is that when playing back on either Corel Video Studio or VLC Media Player the video does not play smoothly and has frequent freezes, while the sound is smooth and clear.

With the GOM Player the situation is reversed with the video smooth andhttp://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/icons/icon7.gif the sound chopped up.

My system specs are
MB: ASUS M2N
CPU: AMD Athlon dual core 4800+ 2.51 Ghz
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GForce 8600GT 256 Mb RAM

If anyone can tell me whether the above adequate for the task or offer other advice I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

autechre
10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Have you checked your CPU usage while you're playing the clips? I'm curious to know if it's pegged out or whether the 8600GT is actually doing some hardware acceleration.

If your CPU is maxed out, try upgrading the video drivers to the latest ones (if they aren't already). VLC should support hardware acceleration - I don't use it so someone may correct me - there is possibly an option to enable/disable it.
I'd give Media Player Classic - Home Cinema a try & see if it plays any better on that.

GameJunkie
10-05-2010, 01:08 PM
+1 for MPC-HC

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I'd try MPC-HC with CoreAVC
http://corecodec.com/products/coreavc/requirements

It costs a few bucks, but it's well worth the investment IMO :)

delta whiskey
10-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the replies - the CPU runs between 65% and 100% with it sitting mostly round 75 to 85%. Don't know whether that qualifies as maxed out, but it seems quite busy.
I installed MPC-HC and both the video and audio are sweet with the CPU running round a low of 20% to a max of 40% - a bit improvement :->
Now to find out whether Corel Video Studio 12 will accurately edit the clips and render them into a coherent movie.
Watch this space

GameJunkie
10-05-2010, 09:34 PM
good to hear you've had some progress

autechre
11-05-2010, 10:13 AM
the CPU runs between 65% and 100% with it sitting mostly round 75 to 85%.
I installed MPC-HC and both the video and audio are sweet with the CPU running round a low of 20% to a max of 40% - a bit improvement :->

65-100 counts as maxed out and 20-40% sounds about right. The video should play pretty smoothly at that CPU level.
It looks like MPC does a good job of utilising the GPU on the 8600 :)

lazydog
17-05-2010, 11:21 PM
If your interested in editing these files then I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 to edit my AVCHD/ .mt2 video files and i find it very easy to use. I realise its very expensive to buy but you can download a trial version. My next choice would be Sony Vegas Pro or Platinum that is a lot heaper and from what i've heard do a very good job at working with these demanding files. Cheers, Pete

autechre
18-05-2010, 10:08 AM
If your interested in editing these files then I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 to edit my AVCHD/ .mt2 video files and i find it very easy to use. I realise its very expensive to buy but you can download a trial version. My next choice would be Sony Vegas Pro
I use Vegas to edit my AVCHD files and it's incredibly simple to use.
I must give Premiere a go too, i've not used it since pre-CS days :)

BBCmicro
18-05-2010, 01:10 PM
If you're interested in editing these files then I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 to edit my AVCHD/ .mt2 video files ... Pete

Is it true that Premiere Pro CS5 absolutely requires 64bit OS?

(I currently use PP2 on XP, intending change to Win7 and upgrade of PP)

autechre
19-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Is it true that Premiere Pro CS5 absolutely requires 64bit OS?
Yep, looks like it. Check the sys reqs (https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/). 64bit for both Mac & Windows.

If you're going Win7, there's not much reason not to go 64bit unless you have some old hardware or old software that you can't do without.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Probably because it'll involve big files, and a lot of ram. 2 things 32 bit cant handle

BBCmicro
19-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Yep, looks like it. Check the sys reqs (https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/). 64bit for both Mac & Windows.

I see that you are right.

I think Adobe allows use on 2 computers. I was hoping that my present XP-32bit/Q6600 would be one of them when I shift to i-5/Win7-64bit/CS5...