PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 microphone

bevanmical
09-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Just bought a new computer with windows 7 pre installed.
when using the microphone to record there is a 1 sec delay, i'm a musician and this makes it impossible to record.
is there a fix for this or do we have to wait for a update from microsoft.

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Looks like a common prob with Win7 (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7music/thread/6b20d795-03fc-4632-a6eb-f0cdc78a702d). Could be why my recordings (from a tv tuner) are out of sync, but theyre fine in vista

BBCmicro
10-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Speedy, thanks for that link to MS forum regarding sound delay in Win7.

I am thinking about upgrading to Win7 in part because I am tired of fighting REaltek audio problems with my P35c motherboard.

My P35c problem seems to be a communication breakdown between Realtek and Microsoft. Under some circumstances Realtek doesn't expose a facility (eg LineIn) unless the OS requests it, but the OS doesn't request it unless it's pre-exposed by Realtek! At least that's what someone said

I was thinking that a new generation of motherboards and a new OS would fix things, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps I should avoid Realtek...

Speedy Gonzales
10-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Speedy, thanks for that link to MS forum regarding sound delay in Win7.

No probs

I am thinking about upgrading to Win7 in part because I am tired of fighting REaltek audio problems with my P35c motherboard.

So, what version of windows do you use now? And, are you using Windows audio drivers or the ASUS ones?

Have to say the ASUS audio drivers for this mobo (P5Q SE/R) are actually worse than Vista's or Win 7's lol. Altho OTOH, it maybe these useless headphones. Turn it right up, it sounds like its 1/2 way. I can hardly hear anything.

I was thinking that a new generation of motherboards and a new OS would fix things, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps I should avoid Realtek...

Well whatever you do, if you get another mobo, DON'T get Gigabyte. They dont even know what they've got on their mobos :lol: They cant even put the right drivers for the right mobos on their site

KarameaDave
10-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Fix here
http://ubuntustudio.org/home
:D

Agent_24
11-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Just bought a new computer with windows 7 pre installed.
when using the microphone to record there is a 1 sec delay, i'm a musician and this makes it impossible to record.
is there a fix for this or do we have to wait for a update from microsoft.

What sound card are you using?

Well whatever you do, if you get another mobo, DON'T get Gigabyte. They dont even know what they've got on their mobos :lol: They cant even put the right drivers for the right mobos on their site

That's rather baseless advice against Gigabyte...

I'm sure they know full well what is on their boards (And if not the manual should tell you and so should any hardware ID program such as Everest)

Anyone can make a mistake and upload the wrong drivers (another reason why the motherboard website is the last place I look for drivers. That and they're almost always out of date anyway)

My P35c problem seems to be a communication breakdown between Realtek and Microsoft. Under some circumstances Realtek doesn't expose a facility (eg LineIn) unless the OS requests it, but the OS doesn't request it unless it's pre-exposed by Realtek! At least that's what someone said

I had this issue. By default Windows or Realtek (not sure which) disables things like Line-in.

You need to open the sound properties, right click somewhere in the list of devices (for either output or input) and check "show disabled devices"

Enable the devices and they will then show up in Windows and the Realtek program... all rather stupid design but it works eventually.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Doesnt matter if theyre out of date. They should at least be the right drivers, (and work). You shouldnt have to spend all night looking over the net for them. The fact is GB didnt even HAVE the right drivers to download. No wonder the sound didnt work. And no its wasnt baseless, I spent 1/2 the night looking for a driver that didnt work. Until I checked the hardware ID's <- (that didnt match what GB said) to find out it was Nvidia not realtek

Sweep
11-05-2010, 12:58 AM
@ Speedy
It would appear that because you had problems getting drivers for one Gigabyte motherboard for another PressF1 member you want to condemn all Gigabyte motherboards possibly?

You also say that you can't even fix a volume problem with your hardware.

I'm expecting "Whatever" as a reply maybe.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Its a windows prob not mine

Sweep
11-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Its a windows prob not mine

Then it's not a Gigabyte problem either?

Agent_24
11-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Doesnt matter if theyre out of date. They should at least be the right drivers, (and work). You shouldnt have to spend all night looking over the net for them. The fact is GB didnt even HAVE the right drivers to download. No wonder the sound didnt work. And no its wasnt baseless, I spent 1/2 the night looking for a driver that didnt work. Until I checked the hardware ID's <- (that didnt match what GB said) to find out it was Nvidia not realtek

I know how annoying that is, it has happened to me before several times in fact, with drivers, BIOS, even the manual itself. And yeah I agree it shouldn't have to happen, but it does.

I just don't think it's a good reason to not recommend a product, it's not as if it impacts on the quality or performance or anything.

I have noticed some strange stuff with nVidia and Realtek though.

I've got an Asus K8N with nForce 3 and Realtek ALC850. You can install the nForce sound drivers from nVidia with the nForce driver package OR the Realtek AC'97 drivers and both work fine (although the Realtek ones are newer and have more features)

I think there are actually two pieces to the puzzle, the Audio controller (which is in the nForce southbridge) and the Audio Codec (which is the ALC850) which may explain some of the confusion (although maybe not yours)

BBCmicro
11-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Speedy - Actually I was indeed thinking of getting a Gigabyte motherboard....

...being a P55A-UD4 which is cheaper than an Asus P7P55D-E Pro. Both boards have USB3 and SATA 6Gbps. (I can't see a use for SATA 6Gbps even if I got an SSD).

I'm not fanatical about either manufacturer. My present mobo is Gigabyte but people I meet seem to swear by Asus.

Lately I have been thinking of dropping the USB3 requirement, perhaps getting an Asus U3S6 PCI-e card in the future if required (A$50).

My mobo requirements are Firewire and 2 x eSATA (I have 2 x Vantek HDD docks). I don't need RAID or Crossfire but wouldn't mind a bit of overclocking ability (not involving voltage tweaking)

So what's a good modern board that saves money for a future X25-M G2?

Agent 24 -
Regarding the P35c sound problem, I have tried everything a dozen times. Updating the BIOS helped a bit (gave 'WAVE' recording in Audacity) but still unreliable Line-In. The problem also occurs with Win7 RC installed on a partition (ie, same mobo)!! I have resigned myself to the problem and now record audio via a USB analogue video capture stick. (I don't have to have it capturing - it pre-monitors the A/V and I set Audacity to record the A). I use XP Pro. CPU is Q6600-B7

Agent_24
11-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Agent 24 -
Regarding the P35c sound problem, I have tried everything a dozen times. Updating the BIOS helped a bit

Did you try the drivers from Realtek? eg: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

If that link doesn't work, what you need is the "High Definition Audio Codecs" "software" download.

BBCmicro
11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Did you try the drivers from Realtek? eg: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

If that link doesn't work, what you need is the "High Definition Audio Codecs" "software" download.

No I don't think I tried that - always went to Gigabyte. (I thought their belated BIOS update was an admission of a problem on their part). I don't use the Gigabyte interface - Windows mixer is fine for me. I will try your suggestion tomorrow (after a restore point!) This could be the answer - thanks

Phil B
11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I got win7 on 2 computers. One of them with a gigabyte m/b I couldn't get the surround sound working with realtek audio. I put an old x-fi sound card in & that fixed that. The other one is an asus board with realtek audio & that does have about 1/2 second delay on recorded tv.

BBCmicro
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Agent 24:

(P35c sound problem) I did what you suggested but it didn't work.

Specifically I uninstalled Realtek HD audio and rebooted - XP couldn't find an audio driver and I had no audio.

I then went to the Realtek site you suggested. Downloaded and installed the XP generic driver. It must have tapped into the BIOS because it brought up a "Gigabyte" control panel. The new driver was R2.48 versus previous R2.27.

Audio worked to some extent but recording options and inputs still greyed out everywhere and Audacity had lost connection with the mixer. Updated Audacity but not satisfactory (noisy). Tried to restore but none of the restore points worked!! Eventually reloaded an image 10 days old. Only lost a few bookmarks.

Oh well! Thanks...

(I'm asking a new question about Realtek on PressF1)

Agent_24
12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
In XP there should be no issues, it's Vista and Windows 7 that disable and hide the recording inputs by default.

I would try a Linux CD, if you still get issues there, possibly it's faulty?

Both the Realtek and Gigabyte drivers should work actually.