PDA

View Full Version : clock problems

Thomas01
09-05-2010, 09:55 AM
It's a week of problems.
And one I haven't managed to sort out is my clock. It just isn't working properly, in fact it is now Sunday 8:45am but my clock reads 10:55pm Saturday despite being corrected yesterday.
I seem to remember a similar problem about 15 years ago when I had to replace a battery on the motherboard.
Please don't tell me I have to drag my once fashionable hefty tower computer out from its hiding place - pulling all the wires out and then dismantling the thing to try to find some obscure battery.
I have tried everything I can think of so far but no luck.
I want some easy software solution - please!!
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Well its either the battery, the timezone is wrong, or the time is wrong in the BIOS. It wont be software based

linw
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Set it right in the BIOS and if it wanders again, replace bty. No short cuts.

Thomas01
09-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Oh dear it does look as though I have to change that darn battery. Makes you wonder why the manufacturers don't make it "easy" to change batteries like most other devices that need them - heavens above its easier to change the battery in our Toyota car than it is with computers.
Bother!!

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Whats hard about it. Its on the mobo so you can see it. All you have to do is remove then replace it. Takes less than 2 - 3 secs

Thomas01
09-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Whats hard about it. Its on the mobo so you can see it. All you have to do is remove then replace it. Takes less than 2 - 3 secs

Looking at the assembly drawing of my motherboard it looks reasonably straight forward.
But getting to the motherboard is the problem.
I have to disconnect the hundred and one cables going into the back and that means I take photos first - otherwise they never go back as they should. Access is very limited.
Dragging the beast forward and out of the desk housing it needs a fair amount of energy - the damn thing weighs a ton. Next I have to find a spare space on my desk in order to release the covers. I will probably have to lug the thing to the dining room anyway as I can never find my desk under the mountains of paper etc.
Once the cover is off - it should be the 2 second job except I haven't the faintest idea of what battery I need. No mention in the instructional manual of course - just a warning not to use an unsuitable battery. So probably a visit to Dick Smiths.
Then I remember the last one I did - as I mentioned earlier about 15 years ago - that one was soldered in!
Just think how much better it would have been if the battery replacement was into the front with some indication of the correct type.
Mind you I have to admit that having spent 40 odd years as a designer I had managed to make some of my designs even worse.
Doesn't stop me having a goat other stuff though.
Tom

feersumendjinn
09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Chances are the battery is a CR2032 (watch/coin cell), 99 percent are, widely available, even at your supermarket, around $4-$5.
Man up, Tom, you can do it! :thumbs:

gary67
09-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Doesn't stop me having a goat other stuff though.
Tom

What's the goat for they can't help :thumbs:

Thomas01
09-05-2010, 02:31 PM
What's the goat for they can't help :thumbs:

Dear me. I missed that one.

Driftwood
09-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I bet the box is full of dust & needs a clean out anyway.

Thomas01
09-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I bet the box is full of dust & needs a clean out anyway.

It certainly was when I last got into it some time last year.