PDA

View Full Version : How is internet once data cap exceeded?

Nomad
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Are the following normal?

Corrupted downloads.
Server quitting in the midst.
Server cannot reconnect.
Webpage may take a modest 1min to open or even 3 mins on some.
MSN cannot connect if you are suring a webpage too.

However some sites are faster than others, like PressF1 and perhaps NZ sites.

Are there traffic shaping done?

Sweep
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Have you been on dial up in the past?

All of the above can happen.

In fact PressF1 right now is a slug and I'm not over my cap. An ad up the top suggests I should not use IE8

DUNK
09-05-2010, 01:40 AM
On Telstra PDQ. I have 1 gig allocated. If I exceed that, they just allocate me another 1 gig. And so on. Never had to suffer with a "cap" from them. It's $2.95 per gig. Not too horrendus. I reckon !! :2cents:

Chilling_Silence
09-05-2010, 08:30 AM
It is when you use more than 20GB over your cap DUNK ;)

All of those are quite possible Nomad. Might I suggest looking into alternative plans that are either flat-rate, or as DUNK mentioned will simply charge you an additional nominal fee for extra data?

veldthui
09-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I used 45GB of my 20GB limit last month and it never slowed a bit. My plan is once over limit $2 per GB.
There are the odd slow times but very rare and probably caused by other factors.

Rod J
09-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Are the following normal?

Corrupted downloads.
Server quitting in the midst.
Server cannot reconnect.
Webpage may take a modest 1min to open or even 3 mins on some.
MSN cannot connect if you are suring a webpage too.

However some sites are faster than others, like PressF1 and perhaps NZ sites.

Are there traffic shaping done?

I'm assuming you're on Xtra Broadband. They slow your connection to dial-up speed if you exceed your data cap on most plans. It's good in a way because you at least can still surf and get your email, etc but of course it's at a snail pace!

Agent_24
09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Back when I had 1GB cap with Telecom, they speed would slow to 64K but I don't recall having corruption problems.

Unless you're hitting the connection too hard with the same attitude as when it's on full speed..

If you have problems with downloads, use a download manage with resume function.

Don't expect Bittorrent to work well either