PDA

View Full Version : Installing XP on HP Pavillion DV5

dagangsta
08-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Hello,
I am trying to dual boot xp and 7. (7 installed first)
I know that when I do it will over write the mbr or something like that. But I can use vistabootpro to rewrite it. I have partitioned off some space for xp. I cannot boot from the cd. It says press enter to boot from cd. I push enter and then it just stays blank. The cd works on other computers.
weird problem. Ubuntu works fine just xp doesnt.

dagangsta
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
This is what HP said (Online support):

in that case, you might have to contact Service Center and get assistance for XP installation, because, you might have to add RAID Controller to Windows installation so that HDD is detected.

How can I add RAID Controller to xp setup.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Sounds like they mean SATA drivers. Thats if the hdd is SATA. Well that'll be hard if it doesnt get that far. So the only way you can fix it is either disable AHCI in the BIOS if its on. Then install XP. But then, Windows 7 may complain if you leave it off. And it'll crash XP if you turn it back to AHCI after you install XP.

Or you'll have to slipstream the SATA drivers then create another XP cd / ISO. Then burn the ISO, then see if it works. And if youre not going to do that, you'll have to start all over again. Reformat everything turn AHCI off in the BIOS (and leave it off). Reinstall XP, then reinstall Windows 7.

dagangsta
08-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks for that speedy, but how can I put it on the CD iso?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
You'll have to copy (the files from the XP cd to the hdd). Then use something like Nlite to slipstream the SATA drivers (once you find out which ones)

Then get Nlite to create the ISO, then you burn it to a blank CD

dagangsta
08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Did that but still not booting...

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
What mode did you choose when you added the SATA drivers? Text mode? You did add the inf file I think it is right?? You extract whats in the SATA drivers. You dont add the exe file

Alex B
08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
The first signs you will see of sata drivers not being there are when it does not detect a HDD in setup. This should not stop you from booting to the cd in the first place. Don't know what would be causing that, maybe your CD/ISO is corrupt. You could try making a bootable USB stick and installing from that. You can possibly do that from nlite, cant remember for sure.

Agent_24
08-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Try booting this first: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#runcd

You need to burn the plpbt.iso or plpbtnoemul.iso (if one doesn't work try the other) file NOT in the install folder.

Boot from that, then once that is running, take the CD out, put your XP CD in. Tell it to boot from CD.

That may work, if your BIOS is being weird.

dagangsta
08-05-2010, 09:33 PM
the cd is fine. I used nlite and only added the inf file. nothing else. thats all I added.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
If it gives you the option you have to select text mode. It'll probably help if you slipstream SP2 or 3 with it (if its not on the CD already)

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to edit the txtsetup.oem file as well. Read this (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/)

There's more to just adding the inf file you also have to edit txtsetup.oem. So you may need an ISO editor (thats registered maybe). Because you'll have to create the ISO first. What SATA drivers did you get for that ICHR xxx?