PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot XP and linux openSuSe

artfulish
08-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm going to go from 98SE to a dual boot XP and open SuSe linux and was wondering what the preferred OS to start the process would be. Would I start with open SuSe or XP or which one is easier to partition from?

Maybe open SuSe is easier to partition from but maybe it'll create complications when I do the driver install for XP afterwards... so maybe it's better to start with XP and format one partition for that then do open SuSe after... or is the accepted just to load XP, defrag then repartion with within the loading of the Linux?

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Do a clean install of XP and partition the hdd while you in setup

Then install whatever, on the other partition/s

Sweep
08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
XP first and make two partitions for same. One for O/S and programs and the other for data, my docs etc. Leave the rest of the hard drive unallocated and when you install linux install to the unallocated and linux will create its own partitions in there.

artfulish
08-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Okay, so the XP and programs partition would be how big? the Data partition would then be as much as I'd see myself using and could be 5-10 Gbytes and then open SuSe would get the rest as unallocated? I suppose this is all readily obvious when installing the XP?

The other question I have is that I'm not sure of the drivers I'll need on hand to load once Xp's done its job. Will it tell me what I need and if connected go out and find them... or at thevery least allow me to know the things that need drivers and what info I need to find them?

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
How big is the hdd?? I would put it bigger than 5-10 GB. It'll use 1.5 - 2 GB just installing XP (thats probably without updates). 40 - 50 GB at least. Depends what youre going to install on the XP partition.

Find out what the model / brand of your motherboard is first, before you start.

If you dont have drivers for XP on a cd, (for the motherboard - the chipset, LAN / audio etc) or somewhere. You wont get online, after you install XP. So, you'll have to find the drivers , then download them first (and copy them to something else), before you reformat.

artfulish
08-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I had a good look through my old stuff and I'm pretty sure I have all the driver CD's. I won't be spending much time in XP really and it'll just be to do stuff I can't manage in openSuSe. The motherboards a K7 Triton GA-7N400S and the Processors a sempron 2600+. The Hard drives a 75Gb and after two years I've still got about 69Gb free!

About the only things I'll put on the XP are Adobe audition and my ol' photoshop 7 stuff if it'll load on XP and maybe a few file converters for audio and video.

I found a website outlining the partioning options when booting from the CD, with screen shots, and it looks pretty straight forward.

As for drivers I haven't got, but I'm pretty sure I've got everything, I've got the laptop to download whatever may be needed. If I can eventually get the openSuSe rock solid, doin' what I want it to, I suppose I'll eventually drop XP anyways.

mikebartnz
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
XP first and make two partitions for same. One for O/S and programs and the other for data, my docs etc. Leave the rest of the hard drive unallocated and when you install linux install to the unallocated and linux will create its own partitions in there.
If you make the data partition vfat then if you use firefox and thunderbird you can have them using the same profile.