PDA

View Full Version : System Volume information

artfulish
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a desktop that runs on 98SE and a USB removable harddrive that has a System Volume Information folder on it at 924Mb on the 60Gb drive.

I've done a little reading and I kinda understand the system restore function but the ability to change the options seems to be a XP type ability which isn't on win 98, at least at it applies to XP.

"The System Volume Information is the folder in which WinXP's System
Restore feature stores information used to recover from errors. By
default, WinXP sets aside a maximum of 12% of the partition's size for
storing System Volume Information, but the amount of space set aside for
this purpose can be adjusted by the user. Start > All Programs >
Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > System Restore Settings,
select the pertinent partition and click Settings.

If you don't want to use System Restore, simply turn off the System
Restore feature (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
System Restore, System Restore Settings) and reboot. This will delete
all of your Restore Points."

I'm about to start again with the 'puter as a dual boot and load XP and a Linux distro and I've basically used the USB hard drive to store all the stuff to shift back to the new setup. I'm just wondering if when I've got the new system up and running I can then use the XP to go in and reset the " SVI" folder to a much smaller size or even turn it off for that drive. Or whether I should possibly do it now in some way under Win 98?

pctek
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
That irritation. Yes you can turn it off under XP, the USB thingy would need to be the same drive letter each time or Windows will think it's another one and re-do it.

artfulish
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Ahh, so hopefully when I first plug it in I'll get the choice to either load the USB host controllers and submit my own drive letter, or if they are already loaded, for other sticks etc, I'll just get the option to do the allocation myself.

Therefore all USB virtual drives and their letters need to be written down and remembered for this happening. Cameras, sticks and harddrives?

pctek
08-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, whatever stick you plug in becomes the next available drive letter so unless you normally have more than one in at a time, it won't matter - it will disable it for all of them which is fine.