PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on HD 5450 - OK for media editing?

BBCmicro
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I am putting together an editing PC with i5-750 and 8 GB ram as the core. Present thoughts are to use an HD 5450 graphics card (512 MB). I like this card because it is SILENT, has HDMI and DVI, is modern (40nm), and costs only $100. The money saved will go towards a future SSD.

The card has poor specs (650 MHz core, 800 MHz memory, DDR2) and bad reviews but I have a gut feeling this won't matter for a PC with a fast CPU and lots of ram. The PC will not be used for gaming.

My doubts are (i) maybe scrolling through TIFs DOES require a good card?
(ii) the PC will no doubt get a poor Windows Experience Index and maybe Microsoft know more than I do?? (iii) maybe Win7 'Play to' will require a good card?

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm using a 4550 with DVI, HDMI and VGA. Nothing wrong with it. I've done a bit of video editing with it (if this is what you mean, using firewire). You're right the video has nothing to do with it. The CPU and ram are the things that matter.

However, if you are talking about video editing, you'll have to get 64 bit to make use of the ram, and use 64 bit programs as well. Since 32 bit programs (like 32 bit OS's have limitations (3 GB file limitation for 32 bit programs, is one of them)

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2010, 12:47 AM
+1 for speedy's thoughts, though you've really got no choice with 8GB ram *but* to use 64-bit.
Scrolling through TIFF files uses more CPU / HDD than GPU, so you could even go further down the GPU scale quite easily IMO, save more for that SSD you're craving ;)

BBCmicro
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
+1 for speedy's thoughts, though you've really got no choice with 8GB ram *but* to use 64-bit. ;)

I will get Win7 Pro 64bit. As for the graphics card, the HD 5450 is different from the 4550 you and Speedy mention and I suspect has worse perfomance.

But you both confirm that CPU and ram are what count (for my video and photo work)

Thanks for your comments

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Pretty much, unless you're doing encoding of video to h.264, then pretty much everythings going to rely on CPU, so spend as much as you can there :)

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Well I dont use video cards to make things look pretty. If I'm doing video editing. What I see is what I get the end of it. It wouldnt matter WHAT the video card is.

The main thing is, it lets me see whats on a screen. The only reason I got it, was for the HDMI for the PC and Xbox. Since the monitor has an HDMI connection. And actually it supports drop and drag encoding with Win7. Once you install the drivers. Altho I'm not really bothered with h.264. Since the tuner records in that format