PDA

View Full Version : General Knowledge

namboothiri
07-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi There, what is the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

I bought Ubuntu 9.04v a while ago but it put me off due to the overall faded appearance, fonts etc despite resetting the resolution to the highest in my PC. I may be stupid as there could be more in it that could have changed its settings. Anyone who can say a bit more about it. Thanks.

gary67
07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Basically the same built on different back-ends I think. Both can be downloaded for free from distrowatch. I would try Linux mint if you want better experience. How old or new is your computer?

wainuitech
07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Do a google search - but The basics (http://www.garfnet.org.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=16) - YOU BROUGHT Ubuntu :eek: Its Linux, its FREE.

icow
07-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Kubuntu has a layout and features similar to win 7.

mikebartnz
07-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Hi There, what is the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

I bought Ubuntu 9.04v a while ago but it put me off due to the overall faded appearance, fonts etc despite resetting the resolution to the highest in my PC. I may be stupid as there could be more in it that could have changed its settings. Anyone who can say a bit more about it. Thanks.
Ubuntu uses Gnome and Kubuntu uses KDE.
Personally I prefer KDE. PCLinuxOS2010 is worth a look at.

Chilling_Silence
07-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Ubuntu uses Gnome and Kubuntu uses KDE.

There's the answer, right there :D

Though, I'd try the newer 10.04 LTS release personally if I was you :)

Rod J
08-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Though, I'd try the newer 10.04 LTS release personally if I was you :)

+1 for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. Just installed it here and it's very nice. One gripe I had with 9.04 was standby not working properly, but it's fixed in 10.04. I've had a few problems with it, perhaps my own fault because of a complex partitioning scheme confusing it.

For those that don't know: Gnome and KDE are different desktop environments, they both look like Windows superficially. I prefer Ubuntu with Gnome myself, but others like Kubuntu with KDE. But Linux is very user configurable, you can change just about anything to make it look just how you want it.

namboothiri
08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks to you all. I invariably make donations to every product that has a humanitarian touch. My PC runs AMD64 on a AM2 platform with Vista64. Except for the Vista, the PC is doing incredibly well. However, now thinking of upgrading to AM3. Thanks again.