PDA

View Full Version : Connected to Internet but webpage wont load

olwyn
07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Have my husband's asus laptop at home and it will not load webpages even though it shows a broadband connection.It works fine at his office,at the neighbours, in short anywhere but here. The broadband connection here is fine (I'm using it right now on my desktop) I ran a virus check on the laptop and it's all ok. He uses IE8 but I tried Firefox with the same result. I have a Thomson ST536v6 ADSL Any ideas what's wrong please and why it will work everywhere but here??

CYaBro
07-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Is your broadband router, or could be some other device, giving out DHCP IP addresses?
Check your machine and see if you have a static IP, gateway and DNS set.
If there is no DHCP server, on the router or wherever, then you will need to set a static IP on your husbands laptop or enable DHCP on the router would be the better option.
Is this a wireless connection or cable?

olwyn
07-05-2010, 04:44 PM
It's a cable connection, not wireless. Sorry to be such a dummy but is the router the Thomson Speed Touch thing that sits on the desk with lights flashing and if so how do I enable DHCP?

olwyn
08-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Have discovered that DHCP is not enabled on the laptop. How do I enable it?

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Go into its LAN / NIC properties / TCP/IP entry. See if its on auto

pctek
08-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I ran a virus check on the laptop and it's all ok.
Not relevant necessarily but a virus check with what?

Best Pay: NOD32
Best Free: Microsoft Security Essentials
AVG, Avast

You also need to be doing weekly scans with antispyware - NO AV program will find it all, in fact most won't find bugger all.

Spybot and Malware Bytes are the best two to use. Use at least two.

olwyn
08-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for that but no it's not on auto.