PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Beeps

bk T
07-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Computer beeps randomly (3 long beeps, some times more short/long beeps) after POST when loading Windows 7. Windows loads OK though. Looks like its the USB devices that I plugged in and out. The POST beep is just one short beep, so I would assume that the MB is OK. Does Windows 7 beep when loading? What does it suggest?:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Could depend on the model / brand of the mobo. On some mobos, some used to beep with every USB device that was connected, when you turned the system on

wainuitech
07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Errrr No windows 7 doesn't normally Beep when loading. Could be other devices loading. Disconnect everything that thats not required, Eg printer, any external USB Devices - see if it still does it.

bk T
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Errrr No windows 7 doesn't normally Beep when loading. Could be other devices loading. Disconnect everything that thats not required, Eg printer, any external USB Devices - see if it still does it.

To be more precise, when I plugged in an USB flash drive/ external HDD before the PC is turned ON, it beeps; and when I left the same device(s) plugged in and restart the PC, it stops beeping. And, and I plugged out the device(s) and restart the PC, it beeps again. It's sort of detecting (alerting) a new device is present or something like that.

The computer works OK, no errors, whatsoever, just a little annoying when it beeps.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2010, 07:06 PM
See if theres a BIOS update that'll fix it

bk T
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
See if theres a BIOS update that'll fix it

Latest BIOS update has been applied - no more new update.

You reckon it's the MB issue?

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I had a similar prob with an old mobo (the ASUS P4P800), it used to beep like 7-8 times, because I have that amount of USB devices connected.

It got annoying. But updating the BIOS fixed it. Did you set the BIOS to its default settings after you updated it (if it wasnt updated already). Then reconfigure it?

Whats the mobo?

bk T
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I had a similar prob with an old mobo (the ASUS P4P800), it used to beep like 7-8 times, because I have that amount of USB devices connected.

It got annoying. But updating the BIOS fixed it. Did you set the BIOS to its default settings after you updated it (if it wasnt updated already). Then reconfigure it?

Whats the mobo?

It's Gigabyte EP45-DS4P. I did reset the BIOS to its default settings after the update and then reconfigured.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Hmm according to someone here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128346)

The beeping feature is nice for setup (telling you what isn't working), not so useful when you have no PC speaker. Might want to make sure you have one (or rip one out of an old computer, that is what I did).

Is everything working? I would check the manual it came with, it may have a troubleshooting section. And it may tell you WHAT the different beeps mean. There maybe an option in the BIOS to turn it on/off

bk T
07-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Hmm according to someone here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128346)

The beeping feature is nice for setup (telling you what isn't working), not so useful when you have no PC speaker. Might want to make sure you have one (or rip one out of an old computer, that is what I did).

Is everything working? I would check the manual it came with, it may have a troubleshooting section. And it may tell you WHAT the different beeps mean. There maybe an option in the BIOS to turn it on/off

You mean the little speaker for older PCs? Should be able to find one.

But I remembered it doesn't beep before (Vista) I installed Win7.

Everything seems to be working fine other than the annoying beeps, sometimes.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2010, 11:37 PM
So if there's no speaker, where's the beep coming from? Is there one on the mobo? Thats the only speaker I can think of (the one the guy is talking about in the link)

bk T
07-05-2010, 11:44 PM
So if there's no speaker, where's the beep coming from? Is there one on the mobo? Thats the only speaker I can think of (the one the guy is talking about in the link)

I'm using the little buzzer that came with the Cooler Master case.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2010, 11:51 PM
ah ok, that'll do the same thing. I would look in the manual / BIOS for the option

If its a feature, it should be there, and you should be able to disable it

bk T
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
ah ok, that'll do the same thing. I would look in the manual / BIOS for the option

If its a feature, it should be there, and you should be able to disable it

Have gone through the Manual many times but couldn't find anything relating to this issue. Maybe I should go through it one more time!