PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2003 text to html default question:

Billy T
07-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi Team

When I installed Outlook 2003 on my new computer I either cocked up the install or inadvertently selected text only display for messages.

I have worked out how to get an individual message to display in html via the 'edit message' function, but I can't find out how to reset Outlook to HTML as the default instead of text only.

The program help file simply takes me to MS Online Help, and searching brings up no answers.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sweep
07-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I take it you want HTML as default when composing a new message?

If so then this will help:-

http://www.web-articles.info/e/a/title/Message-formats-in-Outlook-2003/

Safari
07-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Tools/Options
Under Preference go to Email Options
There is a box there - Read all mail in plain text.

Billy T
07-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I take it you want HTML as default when composing a new message? If so then this will help:-http://www.web-articles.info/e/a/title/Message-formats-in-Outlook-2003/

No, I want to be able to read HTML emails as the sender intended rather than as plain text. That was my default in Outlook 2000 but I must have clicked the wrong button when installing or opening 2003 for the first time, because now I get plain text with blue links (HTML?) to the various pages.

However, I have always sent all mail as plain text.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sweep
07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
No, I want to be able to read HTML emails as the sender intended rather than as plain text. That was my default in Outlook 2000 but I must have clicked the wrong button when installing or opening 2003 for the first time, because now I get plain text with blue links (HTML?) to the various pages.

However, I have always sent all mail as plain text.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Looks like you need to reverse step 4 found in this link then.

http://malektips.com/outlook_2003_security_privacy_0003.html

HTH.

Billy T
07-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Yep, that fixed it. I don't understand why I couldn't find those options when they were right under my nose, but I guess you only see what you want to see sometimes.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm slowly adapting from the world of 2000 to the world of 2003, I'm only seven years behind the times for software, but at least my hardware is up to date!!

I'll say this very quietly, but to be honest I have not noticed any significant speed increase over my PIII 166 during my daily work either. It only shows up on really demanding stuff, otherwise it is business as usual, but it sure is quieter! When I fire up the old box to grab odd things I've forgotten, it sounds like a well worn diesel. :)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sweep
07-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Glad it's fixed. I have been running the Office 2010 beta but dumped it today and went back to 2007. I can't really see much benefit to me to get 2010.

But it took a while to remember when I was using Office 2003. How soon we forget.