PDA

View Full Version : Telecom bash - apathy over built-in 3G

FAB
07-05-2010, 12:27 PM
HI All

I'm bringing this up as I've had 3 instances of it lately, all with different people.

I recommend anyone I know who wants to buy a netbook/laptop and want mobile broadband to get built-in 3G. A no-brainer.

In the last month I've had emails/calls from 3 people who say they've bought whatever brand netbook/notebook with built-in 3G and are having issues getting it working, for whatever reason. These are users who are very basic in skills and getting a dialler working that won't is a bit too hard.

The common theme is, when they take the netbook to the Telecom shop where they bought the SIM with the data account on it, these three lots of people have been told "buy a T stick". End of story.

Two groups have been told "SIM cards will only work in a T Stick" by two different Telecom shops.

I am so frustrated for these people - they are spread around the country so I can't front up to these Telecom shops for them (oh as much as I'd like to, believe me!).

Why the disinformation and apathy? T Sticks will be redundant in a few years or so, and there is only going to be more and more people (and I'm talking home users) getting netbooks with built-in 3G.

The last guy who just emailed me, "So rang Telecom Helpline, and they said sorry cant help you, our Sim Cards are designed to go in our T Sticks so you have to buy one of those. Thanks."

One lady said the pressure from the Telecom shop for her to buy a T Stick was enormous and she left almost in tears, because I had told her "don't let them sell you a T Stick".

Jeez!

Edit: I told all of them to take the netbook back to wherever they bought it, with the SIM card, and say "make this work for me".

Sue
07-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I've never known Telecom to sell the internal notebook 3G Cards but I know Vodafone did.
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/about/media-centre/2009-media-releases/dell-inspiron-mini.jsp
Maybe try Vodafone.

I use a Telecom XT USB T stick for all my internet access, darn sight better signal than any card I've come across (3.5 yrs on the road, North & South Island ).

FAB
07-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorry Sue, you may have misunderstood. Telecom sells the SIM card - that's all that's needed. I've tested (just the other day) copying large files over VPN using a T Stick and built-in 3G...built-in at least twice as fast.

FAB
07-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Update:
I rang Telecom shop in Tauranga. They know nothing re 3G unless it's a T stick, they will not help.
I rang Tauranga Noel Leemings (where last guy purchased his) - he said ring Telecom (done that) or ring Acer (done that). I then told him what happened and he said that although he knows nothing about computers (they just sell them and the mobile broadband plans to go with them!) he will try and help.

So points to Noel Leeming in Tauranga for at least wanting to help...still makes me mad though, things like this give technology such a bad name with Joe Bloggs.

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2010, 12:48 AM
No, not all Netbooks are designed to work with the WCDMA (XT) network on the frequencies the XT network runs on. It's *not* all that's specifically needed. Not all the same technology networks run on the same frequencies around the world ...

Alex B
08-05-2010, 01:18 AM
So you're expecting telecom to give you product support for something they don't sell/activly support? I think you would have the same luck with most vendors to be honest.

I take it all 3 netbooks have WWLAN cards that support 850mhz wcdma for a start?

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
It's like expecting that anybody who sells a cordless phone will know how to make it work with a VoIP ATA Adapter. Ain't gonna happen. They have every right to wash their hands of it and say "Sorry, it's outta our support area".

FAB
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey CS.
This Acer they purchased run on XT - they made sure of that before buying.
But I guess my main point is, if they had a T stick they will support that and help, but since it's not a T stick (which still uses a SIM of course) they don't want to know.
Secondly, the attitude of the people in the Telecom shops is appalling. One lady who called me said she was nearly crying over the attitude of the staff there, who just couldn't give a stuff and basically 'you've bought a SIM card off us, see you later. We know nothing."
Do I *expect* Telecom shops to give support? Well, over someone trying to use their product yes. Do I expect them to support just SIM that's being plugged into a laptop? No - but they could be a whole lot more helpful than they have been.
Hey Alex - "So you're expecting telecom to give you product support for something they don't sell/activly support?" Yes. Their product is mobile broadband - they should support that. Ok they don't support the laptop and it's hardware - I readily admit that - but what would it take for one of the shop staff to say "hey bring your laptop in and we will try and help you, or suggest someone who can." But they just get on the offensive straight away if the user is not on a T Stick. In all reality it is probably just a box in the dialler that needs to be ticked...
I am sorry but I come from the school of service - even if I don't support the item on paper, if I offer a service and someone is havnig a problem with it, I'd at least try to help them.
Rant is off now, I think I need more coffee to turn it off proper...

PaulD
10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I am sorry but I come from the school of service - even if I don't support the item on paper, if I offer a service and someone is havnig a problem with it, I'd at least try to help them.

"I recommend anyone I know who wants to buy a netbook/laptop and want mobile broadband to get built-in 3G. A no-brainer."

So your part in this is just to make a few suggestions?

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah but not everybody wants 3G or will ever need it, so the additional $50 may be better spent on more RAM for example.

Regardless, I'm with you, they *ought* to at least say "Well heck, we'll take a look at it", but you can understand why it's out of the scope of their service, and if they try and help one customer, their scope suddenly explodes and they'll be helping every tom, dick & harry with everything.

Some times it's simply a case of "We're sorry, but you'll need to take it in to see your local IT service guy who can help you", and that's the best answer.

FAB
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
'Some times it's simply a case of "We're sorry, but you'll need to take it in to see your local IT service guy who can help you", and that's the best answer."

Agreed...but again, it was the attitude. Admittedly it was the same attitude at Noel Leeming until I rang on their behalf. The people who rang me (and remember so far that's been 3 lots all using different shops) all had the same comment - an attitude of just don't want to know, or help in any way.