PDA

View Full Version : 64bit systems...

Capt.Hook
06-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I would like to know if there is any advantage to having a 64 bit system, over a 32 bit.
In a business situation,payrolls etc

Thanks
Hook

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Not really unless the apps are 64 bit. 64 bit will run 32 bit apps tho

robbyp
06-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I would like to know if there is any advantage to having a 64 bit system, over a 32 bit.
In a business situation,payrolls etc

Thanks
Hook

Memory is mainly the only advantage, as 32 bits are limited to under 4GB.

Capt.Hook
06-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that guys,

I want to migrate all the business apps etc,from the old 32 bit Xp computer,onto the new Win7 computer,which is 64 bit.
Just didn't know how much of a difference there would be,or if it is possible.

Hook

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Most 32 bit programs will work. Its drivers that wont if theyre not 64 bit

Capt.Hook
06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I had a feeling I would have to get new drivers.
Thanks again.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
If you havent installed 64 bit yet, I would check if there are 64 bit drivers for whatever you've got first. Otherwise, its not going to work

veldthui
08-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I have a a couple of 64 bit systems and would never again purchase a 32 bit system. So much more stable and of course that extra memory address space is great. 8GB my new machine will have. FSX under 32bit struggles and runs out of memory quite oftem. Under 64bit it does not.
Sure you need to find drivers but most have both drivers now unless you have old hardware.
If I need 32bit for any reason I just run it as a virtual machine on my 64bit system but it is very rare. Have both Vista and Win7 under 64bit. My laptop with 64bit Win7 Ultimate 6GB flies.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
And youre probably less prone to viruses as well. Since most are 32 bit, which wont run in 64 bit. There maybe 2-3 64 bit viruses, compared to 32 bit ones

Erayd
08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
And youre probably less prone to viruses as well. Since most are 32 bit, which wont run in 64 bit. There maybe 2-3 64 bit viruses, compared to 32 bit onesThat's rubbish Speedy - while there are a few technical reasons that prevent some exploits from running (e.g. a buffer overflow / binary injection exploit intended for a 32bit process, when the target is actually running a 64bit version of that process), there is still a huge amount of malware that will run just fine. Believe me, there is plenty of nasty stuff around that will work on a 64bit system with no trouble, particularly when a 32bit userland application is the vector.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Whatever

Phil B
08-05-2010, 11:47 PM
I found my cashbook program refused to run at all with win7 64. Ended up installing xp mode to get it going

Neil McC
09-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I found my cashbook program refused to run at all with win7 64. Ended up installing xp mode to get it going

I find that it runs ok, but occasionally I have to reinstall it as on trying to run it up comes a message about another program.
Must drop a note to Acclaim.

Chilling_Silence
09-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Whatever

You're very quick lately to dish out half-baked advice, don't get moody when you're corrected. Erayd is right, and he wasn't exactly rude with his response either.

You made a mistake and were corrected. Suck it up. It happens.

Capt.Hook, you'll have a hard time finding if drivers are compatible prior to install, so you're better off actually *installing* 64-bit. Provided you have 8GB-odd free on your system drive, and do a custom install, it won't actually erase your data (Unless you're using NTFS). If you find things arent working in 64-bit, then simply re-install in 32-bit and then delete the 64-bit files that will be in "windows.old.001" or similar.

You'll be surprised, Windows 7 has drivers for a lot of systems, and where it doesn't it's *usually* the same across 32-bit and 64-bit :)

Phil B
09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
I find that it runs ok, but occasionally I have to reinstall it as on trying to run it up comes a message about another program.
Must drop a note to Acclaim.

Mine's ok, running cashbook complete. I don't run anything else in xp mode, just used purely for the accounting

SolMiester
09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
That's rubbish Speedy - while there are a few technical reasons that prevent some exploits from running (e.g. a buffer overflow / binary injection exploit intended for a 32bit process, when the target is actually running a 64bit version of that process), there is still a huge amount of malware that will run just fine. Believe me, there is plenty of nasty stuff around that will work on a 64bit system with no trouble, particularly when a 32bit userland application is the vector.

LOL, hi oh silver.....

wainuitech
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I've run cashbook complete on a 64bit OS OK.

Only problem I have ever had with cashbook complete Was when I installed office 2010 the other day (with access 2010) -- It completely screwed Cashbook Had to download and reinstall cashbook complete to get it to work.

Alex B
09-05-2010, 10:52 PM

From memory Quicken doesn't work pre Quicken 2010.

inphinity
10-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Provided you have 8GB-odd free on your system drive, and do a custom install, it won't actually erase your data (Unless you're using NTFS).

Hmm I suspect this was a typo - it won't erase your data *provided* you're using NTFS, rather than unless.

As long as you don't specifically tell it to format the drive or change partitions, on an NTFS partition, it will not delete your existing data (it just renames the folders).

On a FAT32 partition, though, I'd certainly make sure I had a recent backup* ;)

* Disclaimer: I'd make sure I have a recent backup anyway!

BBCmicro
10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I use XP 32bit but tried Win7 RC 64bit on a partition. I was surprised how many of my apps ran OK under Win7 64bit

eg, Audacity (1.3beta), Photoshop 6

(However, I didn't try every feature of the apps.)

Nomad
10-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah I found the same thing.
Mailwasher 2B or something worked for me but times when you wanna close it, it spits out a memory complain. Plus some buttons are transparent and some are not.

I found some small utilities just don't even execute. Still have to install my s/w.

I find that with 4GB, it takes a bit longer to open up a s/w than XP but when you are switching it might be a bit faster.

Maybe Mr Bill want us to get a new computer, lol. Remember 3.1 going to 95.

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Hmm I suspect this was a typo - it won't erase your data *provided* you're using NTFS, rather than unless.

As long as you don't specifically tell it to format the drive or change partitions, on an NTFS partition, it will not delete your existing data (it just renames the folders).

On a FAT32 partition, though, I'd certainly make sure I had a recent backup* ;)

* Disclaimer: I'd make sure I have a recent backup anyway!

Correct, my apologies.

If you have FAT32, I believe it'll want to format the whole filesystem.

Phil B
10-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I've run cashbook complete on a 64bit OS OK.

Only problem I have ever had with cashbook complete Was when I installed office 2010 the other day (with access 2010) -- It completely screwed Cashbook Had to download and reinstall cashbook complete to get it to work.

When I couldn't get it to go, I checked on their website & it said it's not compatible with 64 bit. That was about 4 weeks ago. But it's a good easy program to use & I wasn't about to go through the palava of changing programs again, so I persevered:)

berryb
11-05-2010, 12:40 AM
I use Cashbook Complete on both Win7 32 and 64 bit. Running a domain with roaming profiles and the only issue I had since the upgrade to Win 7 is the path to the data file was using the UNC path. It sometimes (not always) gave an error when trying to import a QIF file . Mapped a drive and all good. There is a new version of Cashbook on their website.

Last I checked, and it was a while ago Quicken didn't like Win 7 either 32 or 64 bit. This may have changed with their latest update that I was told was due around May or June. I set my client up with XP mode to work around the issue.