PDA

View Full Version : Enermax Case Comes With a Toroid.

Terry Porritt
06-05-2010, 03:33 PM
The Enermax 'Chakra' case I just bought came with a powered iron toroid, 16mm bore diameter. Presumably it is intended for RFI supression with one or more of the cables going to the front panel wound a couple of turns around it.

The question is which wires? Apart from the usual HDD LED, Power LED, Reset etc wires, there is an audio cable, a USB cable and a SATA data cable going to the front eSATA connector.

My guess would be the audio cable. Anyone come across this before ?

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Nope, never heard of a powered iron toroid

Agent_24
06-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Don't you mean Powdered Iron?

I have a case which has the similar idea but it only does it for the front LEDs and buttons, not even audio or USB (that case doesn't have USB or audio at the front anyway)

I have no idea why and I have never noticed any difference between that one and any other cases without.

I think I have also seen a case with one on the wire for the PC speaker. But I don't see the reason for it.

It's hardly like any interference is going to do anything bad to a power switch so I really can't see the point.

FAB
06-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Phew. I was feeling like a real thickie there until Speedy chimed in...powered iron toriod? Sounds like to joins to a flux capacitor.

Terry Porritt
06-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks, I made a typo, should be powdered iron.
I found a one or two vague references via Google but nothing definitive as to its use.
I wont bother with it unless there is obvious interference into the audio.

Edit: It may be to reduce RFI radiating from the computer and affecting radio devices.

Agent_24
06-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Edit: It may be to reduce RFI radiating from the computer and affecting radio devices.

Maybe, but from a LED? or a power button? How could they affect or be affected by anything?

Terry Porritt
06-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Maybe, but from a LED? or a power button? How could they affect or be affected by anything?

Have no idea :) unless there could be re-radiation. When computers ran at lower frequencies I used to pick up hetrodyne whistle on a FRG7000 HF set, but don't seem to get it now.