PDA

View Full Version : What is made in NZ?

bk T
06-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I ordered a roller blind curtain from Kresta 2 weeks ago and am still waiting for it to be delivered and installed. Was told that it will be ready in about a week, but (of course) nothing happens after 1 week; rang them, was told that it will be ready next week, that's OK. 2 weeks passed, rang them, this time the guy told me that it's already done but has to be shipped from Australia!

Oh, dear! We can't even make a simple custain in NZ! What can we (NZ) make or do - other than drinking BEER? LOL

Probably it's time to consider to move over to OZ?????

pctek
06-05-2010, 02:07 PM
We make milk. Or rather harvest it.
We make tree logs.
We make meat.

That's it.

Cato
06-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Babies?

robbyp
06-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Poor government policies have killed manufacturering in NZ. N is now largely just a property economy with a small exporting economy focused on milk, tacked on.

prefect
06-05-2010, 02:27 PM
And fish

sroby
06-05-2010, 02:47 PM
beneficiaries, lots of them

Exporting them to Aus is getting harder & harder.

zqwerty
06-05-2010, 02:47 PM
"Poor government policies have killed manufacturering in NZ" - repeated for truth.

sroby
06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Poor government policies have killed manufacturering in NZ. ....

We could have had a closed economy , that would have kept all manufacturing in NZ. NO IMPORTS ALLOWED. Just like Russia tried.

no, wait, vauge memories of the 1970's coming back, I want my poorly manufactured, allready obselete goods. Lets not allow FM Radio Stations as no local manufacterer was making FM radio's. Waiting list for imported cars.

Heck
No cellphones. NO LCD TV's. No modern medical equipment. Cars that cost 2x the price. No cheap car imports so most of the population drive old dunga's. A good pair of Jeans costing $100 (compared to $25 now)

-lets blame the government for the fact that most consumer goods worldwide an Asian made at a fraction of the price, with quality steadily getting better

Nomad
06-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Why would NZ want to manufacture something?
Sure, good luck when you are compensating with low cost labour. Anyone wanna work for $5/hr?

When China becomes too $$$ they would ship elsewhere ...

Battleneter2
06-05-2010, 03:50 PM
It doesn't have to be a on/off switch sroby, NZ should have left some tariffs protecting specific manufacturing industries.

NZ is VERY similar to most OECD countries and manufactures very little as its so much cheaper to do it in China.

QUOTE=sroby;905515]beneficiaries, lots of them

Exporting them to Aus is getting harder & harder.[/QUOTE]

beneficiaries, lots of them

Thats largely a Aussie myth I don't buy into, kiwis contribute a huge amount to the Aussie economy and culturally we are nearly identical.

robbyp
06-05-2010, 03:50 PM
We could have had a closed economy , that would have kept all manufacturing in NZ. NO IMPORTS ALLOWED. Just like Russia tried.

no, wait, vauge memories of the 1970's coming back, I want my poorly manufactured, allready obselete goods. Lets not allow FM Radio Stations as no local manufacterer was making FM radio's. Waiting list for imported cars.

Heck
No cellphones. NO LCD TV's. No modern medical equipment. Cars that cost 2x the price. No cheap car imports so most of the population drive old dunga's. A good pair of Jeans costing $100 (compared to $25 now)

-lets blame the government for the fact that most consumer goods worldwide an Asian made at a fraction of the price, with quality steadily getting better

We have moved from one extreme to another, but remember that most countries, including Australia and USA have tarrifs and do offer protection for local manufacturing.

Some of those things you mention, we could do without, or handle paying more for, as the true cost is actually higher. It is just because they are manufactured in artifcally low wage economies that aren't sustainable longterm, but over time as their standard of living increases, the prices will go up. These days these things are so cheap, that instead of repairing them, we replace them, which has made our society a throw away one, and is one reason for the eco problems we now face. You do pay more for quality, and you do get what you pay for. Much of what is now imported into NZ, is cheap chinese rubbish, which ends up in our landfills after a few short years.

robbyp
06-05-2010, 03:52 PM
It doesn't have to be a on/off switch sroby, NZ should have left some tariffs protecting specific manufacturing industries.

NZ is VERY similar to most OECD countries and manufactures very little as its so much cheaper to do it in China.

QUOTE=sroby;905515]beneficiaries, lots of them

Thats largely a Aussie myth I don't buy into, kiwis contribute a huge amount to the Aussie economy and culturally we are nearly identical.[/QUOTE]

Interesting to see that unemployment has dropped in NZ. I suspect there has been a large amount of people who have moved to Oz and other countries in the last few months.

Battleneter2
06-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Interesting to see that unemployment has dropped in NZ. I suspect there has been a large amount of people who have moved to Oz and other countries in the last few months.

yea umm no, "Employment" rose by about 19,000 in the last quarter. So to recap NZ unemployment is less than 1% behind Aussies.

You do know NZ and Aussie population have been growing at nearly an identical percentage for the last 100 years which includes the last decade?

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 04:02 PM

I wonder why. There's nothing here. Everything is way too high. Wages arent worth it. You can get more elsewhere. Why do you think places like Telecom and F&P go off-shore?

prefect
06-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Let the commie chinese manufacture cheap stuff that works, I will buy a commie 50mm ROE spanner over a german 350 one any day.
Tarrifs are so yesterday its all about free trade now so run with it. Let the commies work for a few bucks an hour, Even commies need to eat and they need primary produce and raw materials. We can open up our National parks and start mining there is ****loads of good stoking coal on the coast
Thats where we come in we do primary produce like food and trees very efficiently in this country.
How come in Tasman the orchards cant get enough pickers?.
There is only a limited amount of vacancies at Pack and Save and Burger King etc so if people want a job they need to get off their arse.

pctek
06-05-2010, 04:43 PM

It doesn't have to be an either or.
Other countries make stuff - and no I'm not referring to just the likes of Chinese cheaply produced stuff.

The government killed of science pretty much, more research into biologicals and such would help. And instead of shipping logs, why not make something expensive out of it first?

And export expensive cheese or something instead of just milk powder...

robbyp
06-05-2010, 04:45 PM
yea umm no, "Employment" rose by about 19,000 in the last quarter. So to recap NZ unemployment is less than 1% behind Aussies.

You do know NZ and Aussie population have been growing at nearly an identical percentage for the last 100 years which includes the last decade?

You did hear the news today. Unemployment has actually dropped from 7.1%, to 6%.

robbyp
06-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I wonder why. There's nothing here. Everything is way too high. Wages arent worth it. You can get more elsewhere. Why do you think places like Telecom and F&P go off-shore?

Eventually NZs wages will be low enough in comparism for stuff to be made in NZ again, as these things go in cycyles. I am surprised a lot of manufacturing has moved from NZ to Oz, considering their wages are significantly higher, but they probably have government incentives, and produce a higher quantity, and the stuff is closer to the market.

Terry Porritt
06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
One problem is that NZ does not make much, if anything, that others will come beating a path to our door to buy. There was somewhat of a chance to set up that back in the 70s early 80s, but any chance was killed off by Douglas.

Back in the 70s, it was Japan that killed off manufacturing. The machine tool industry in UK all but collapsed because of lack of innovation, but it was firms like Taylor Hobson that survived because they were simply the best at what they did, and the Nips like Mitutoyo bought Taylor metrology gear in order to mass manufacture cheaper lower quality instruments.

http://www.taylor-hobson.com/

Likewise they bought the worlds best 3D measuring machines from Leitz, Wetzlar, in order to produce lower quality cheaper machines that they sold all over.

Now it is the turn of the Chinese, but countries like Germany and Switzerland still produce the finest machine tools that the Chinese and others buy, and paths are still beaten to their doors.

Reishauer, who I used to have dealings with, make the worlds finest thread and gear grinding machines, nearly all of their output, like all Swiss manufacture is exported.

http://www.smts.org/reishauer/

R2x1
06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Ah, but that is a different thread.

beeswax34
06-05-2010, 07:42 PM
KiwiBank?

Battleneter2
06-05-2010, 09:24 PM
You did hear the news today. Unemployment has actually dropped from 7.1%, to 6%.

yea thats what I said Employment increased, your getting confused between "unemployment" and "increased Employment".

I used the term increased employment to counter a statement unemployment was falling due to people leaving the country which is typical self doubting kiwi negative garbage. Even good news is met by people trying to find something negative in it.

BTW relevant to this thread employment in the manufacturing sector was the biggest gain of around 9000 which is very positive, at least we dont have an additional 9000 real estate agents :P

Jen
06-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Oh, dear! We can't even make a simple custain in NZ! What can we (NZ) make or do - other than drinking BEER?You need to consider the smaller manufacturers if you wish to go local. I ordered a roller blind online from a Christchurch company and they were half the price Kresta quoted. I also got the custom sized blind delivered within two days. Good quality construction using the same materials that Kresta did. You had to install them yourself, but clear instructions were provided.

Supporting local businesses helps them compete against the overseas companies.

Digby
07-05-2010, 07:34 AM

x2

Just about every country in the world has problems competing with Chinese manufacturing.

Not much is made in the States now aside from airplanes and military gear.

What amazes me, is that Cadburys sent their production to Australia which has much higher wages than us, surely we could have made their chocolate !

We do "make" a lot of hightech computer software and movies.

We also need to be able to sell stuff to pay for these cheap imports. As long as we can keep selling our milk and wine and cheese, and kiwifruit etc.

But what happens when China and Chile etc start making inroads into that ! ?
They have cheap land, cheap labour and similar climates.

I also agree that we should not have cut our tarifs so quickly, that left us with nothing to negotiate with. (but then again our market is so small !

I just spoke today to a guy from Mexico, he comes from a city with 5 million people, and no its not the capital its Montery. That's more than the whole of New Zealand. As I have said many times, we need far more people here, about 20 million imho.

sroby
07-05-2010, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=robbyp;905546Much of what is now imported into NZ, is cheap chinese rubbish, which ends up in our landfills after a few short years.[/QUOTE]

This only reflects what the public WANT TO BUY. Just the way it is.
You want (say) a printer that can be repaired and lasts 10years with parts backup (rather than a throw away item), pay $1000 = a bit unrealistic.

Its time to pull our heads out & realize that China can & does produce goods of the highest quality at 1/3 the cost.
There are plenty of cheap HIGH QUALITY goods coming out of china, at a price not much more than the rubbish.

its also a just matter of time before other countries will be more than a match
for our agricultural exports. Thats when the s*** will really hit the fan.

But on the other hand, I think we should have kept our car assembly plants open via new car tarrifs. There were used imports available at the same time & that seemed to be working out fairly well for everyone, there was a good choice between cheap used imports or new locally assembled at slightly inflated(protected) prices.

prefect
07-05-2010, 11:15 AM
This only reflects what the public WANT TO BUY. Just the way it is.
You want (say) a printer that can be repaired and lasts 10years with parts backup (rather than a throw away item), pay $1000 = a bit unrealistic.

Its time to pull our heads out & realize that China can & does produce goods of the highest quality at 1/3 the cost.
There are plenty of cheap HIGH QUALITY goods coming out of china, at a price not much more than the rubbish.

its also a just matter of time before other countries will be more than a match
for our agricultural exports. Thats when the s*** will really hit the fan.

I am not sure other countries have the space, climate and water for food production that would knock us out.
Chile is a bit of a worry because in parts it has the same climate as ours so they can grow radiata and kiwifruit.
Forget China they can barely feed themselves and they have a problem with desertification and salt.

Ninjabear
07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
While I tend to agree China makes alot of knock offs but there are legitimate companies in china. As far as I know mobiles which you used are mostly made in China.

The tax and gst in New Zealand makes it hard to earn any profit

Ninjabear
07-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I think Dairy products and wool are manufactured in NZ .

Thats all I can think of.

There are plenty of good products made in China. For example your cellphones,Tv, dvd player etc are made there so "made in china" doesn't mean everything made from there is bad.

NZ don't have the people to get into the manufacture business. The tax is expensive. It costs alot to pay the workers themselves. Not to mention broadband is still pretty expensive here.

There's a lack of people in NZ that can manufacture products.

NZ is also a slow pace country. The lifestyle is different. I'm not so sure if they can compete overseas.