PDA

View Full Version : Vista updates

Greg
06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
When I used WinXP Pro I never did any updates, and never had any problems.

Now that I'm using Vista (Home Premium) I'm updating the Important and Recommended updates. I still don't have any problems.

My question is... I get update recommendations almost on a daily basis, and some of these are quite large. Once the update has updated on my lappie, are these files stored somewhere, and wasting space? If yes, where can I delete them from? And is it okay to delete them?

Thx.

wainuitech
06-05-2010, 10:25 AM
When windows downloads updates they go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

IF you dump them out - then in the event you need to uninstall an update for what ever reason, you are SOL. ;)

IF windows wont update or gets stuck on updates, the reason can be the SoftwareDistribution folder is corrupted, by deleting the whole folder, windows then makes a new one when updates are run again.

Greg
06-05-2010, 10:33 AM
When windows downloads updates they go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

IF you dump them out - then in the event you need to uninstall an update for what ever reason, you are SOL. ;)

IF windows wont update or gets stuck on updates, the reason can be the SoftwareDistribution folder is corrupted, by deleting the whole folder, windows then makes a new one when updates are run again.

Thx for your reply. Sorry, but I almost don't understand a word of what you said! :(

Why would I need to uninstall an update?

What is "SOL"?

Are you saying that next time I do an update, all previous updates will be re-installed or downloaded again?

:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
SOL = Sh** out of luck. You can delete the hotfixes with ccleaner. However, if you want to uninstall those hotfixes, you cant

wainuitech
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Are you saying that next time I do an update, all previous updates will be re-installed or downloaded again As per what speedy said-- But if the updates have already come through and installed, they wont come through again.

What sometimes happens is updates come through and for some reason get in an endless download and wont install.

If the SoftwareDistribution folder is corrupted this can cause that.

SO by deleting the folder, it also deletes the STUCK updates, windows creates a new folder, and those previous updates that got stuck will now hopefully download and install as normal.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 01:04 PM
You can also use the vsp1cln.exe command after installing SP1. And compcln.exe after installing Vista SP2. Which will give you a few GB's back. However, on some systems (one being one of the PC's here), if you use vsp1cln.exe AFTER installing SP1, SP2 wont install (because you've removed some file it needs). It will bring up an error. And unless system restore can fix it, there's no way to install SP2. You may have to reformat (if you want to install SP2)