PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder to gas hob/oven

tims
06-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Anyone know what the regulations are about installing a gas cylinder yourself for use with a gas hob/oven in the kitchen.
I thought a homeowner could install a cylinder (without permission) providing it was 9kg (BBQ size) or under and the oven was within a certain maximum distance from the cylinder. Does the cylinder have to be outside the building? Anyone have any ideas or point me to where I can find out?

cheers

Tim

Sweep
06-05-2010, 08:51 AM
This link might start you off. You might have to check your Council bylaws.

http://resources.ccc.govt.nz/files/GuidelinesForResidentialLPG-docs.pdf

PinoyKiw
06-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I have seen sevaral installations of 9kg bottles under sinks for kitchen gas tops in NZ. Quite a common set up else where where, it might be impractical to get large outside gas tank.

What your position would be legally or from a insurance point of view I don't know.

But it has been done, one way or another. Something you would have to research with your local body.

R2x1
06-05-2010, 09:25 AM
The council and your insurance company are the ones who will cause you grief if your install ever comes to grief, so maybe you could check with them first. Both those entities react angrily to surprises. Fire brigades hate surprises too, so if you let them know, they will be aware of it if things should require their services.

Zippity
06-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Sadly, New Zealand is probably the only country in the world that still allows the use of 9kg portable gas bottles inside a house or caravan.

Have a look at http://pgdb.co.nz/Public/General_Information_Gasfitting.html

prefect
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
You would be dumb as dirt to have a 9kg bottle inside your house. If you are a filthy scum smoker you would even be dumber than dirt putting the bottle in the house.
And dont put under the house either leave it outside or a ventilated box outside the house.
As far as hooking it up its no biggy, need to get a hose tail for the hob that will match the hose tail for LP regulator generally they are 5/16" (8mm) or 3/8" (10mm) (have rarely seen 1/4" 6.5mm and 1/2" 12.7) get some lpg rated hose its generally brown colour about $3.00 a metre and hose clip or oetiker clip it together.
When you finish test the connections with soapy water.
The amount of energy in these bottle is absolute incredible in Iraq they used them for car bombs.
What catches a lot of people out in NZ is on caravans where the person gets up in the morning lights morning fag and departs the caravan through the roof or closed door/windows.

Zippity
06-05-2010, 10:19 AM
"People who are not gasfitters are able to work on portable
gas appliances which have the gas bottle attached such
as barbecues, cabinet heaters and patio heaters, although
the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board strongly
recommends a gasfitter is used."

http://pgdb.co.nz/~downloads/news/PGD%20Consumer%20web%20br.pdf

prefect
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I am sure they would recommend it, so they can take your hard earned dosh.
Same as 3 pin 230vac plug you can do it yourself but electricians would recommend you take it to them.

tims
06-05-2010, 10:48 AM
That's what I was after - thanks for the replies.

Zippity
06-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Regardless of who is taking who to the cleaners for $$$$$$$$$$$, gas bottles for cooking inside is a poor man's choice - sorry :(

We looked at doing the same thing a couple of years back, but finally opted for an induction hob - the best choice ever :)

We also ditched the gas bottle heating and installed a heat pump :) The house "smells" better and the dampness has gone.

SP8's
06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I think you might find that if you want the 9Kg cylinder inside a cupboard, the cupboard must somehow be vented to the outside of the house - I know I got in just before the regulations changed some years ago, so I would make sure you checked with your council AND Insurance company !!