PDA

View Full Version : Stupid computer

JJJJJ
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm running Win 7 64 bit.
Today I discovered the entire content of my computer in my recycle bin. Presumably a copy of my hard drives. It still shows up on the appropriate drives. The problem is ,how do I get rid of it? The "delete" command is greyed out. CCleaner says the bin is empty.
I can not "select all". I can remove items one at a time by selecting an individual item and deleting it with a mouse.
It's all on a SSD drive. Have tried a defrag but it did nothing for me.
Anyone got any ideas.

Problem 2:
I am useing Thunderbird for e-mail.
Everytime I click on inbox or trash up comes a notice saying it can not contact IMAP server. I don't have an IMAP account. After several attempts it lets me acccess my mail.
I have uninstalled T/B and re-installed, but that has made it worse.

And windows "action centre" tells me there are no problems:ban
NOD 32 tells me I have no nasties.
Thanks in advance,
Jack

wainuitech
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Could be the recycle bin is corrupted. -- Back up any data just in case it all turns to custard, then have a read of This article (http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-corrupted-recycle-bin-windows-7-vista/) on how to un-corrupt the bin.

Second problem -- Thunderbird AGAIN FAILING -- I have seen TB fail so many times in W7 its not funny. Even using Windows Mail from Vista is more stable.

When you uninstalled it, did you simply uninstall, or remove all reg keys / profile the lot ?? Simply uninstalling leaves a lot of files behind and problems as well.

Try a different email client at least to see if its TB or someplace else.

Edited:
Just adding to above: If you have access to a Vista OS Heres how (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/05/download-windows-mail-from-vista-for-use-in-windows-7/) to Use Vista's Windows mail in W7 - works a treat - done it several times and rock stable.

mikebartnz
05-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Problem 2:
I am useing Thunderbird for e-mail.
Everytime I click on inbox or trash up comes a notice saying it can not contact IMAP server. I don't have an IMAP account. After several attempts it lets me acccess my mail.
I have uninstalled T/B and re-installed, but that has made it worse.
Check out the Account Settings for the IMAP problem.

wainuitech
05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Add to may above reply -- This article (http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/how_do_i_delete_thunderbird_3_c_o_m_p_l_e_t_e_l_y) explains how to completely uninstall TB.

pctek
06-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Second problem -- Thunderbird AGAIN FAILING -- I have seen TB fail so many times in W7 its not funny.
Edited:

Really? Failing how exactly?

I've been using it with Win 7 since October and haven't had any issues at all.

What has it been doing with you?

wainuitech
06-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Corrupting user profiles, dumping emails that have already come through.

Last week, TB corrupted on a customers PC, she had According to her approx 200 emails in the in box, some unread, all gone, apparently TB froze on shutdown. When it was reopened the mails were gone. The deleted items was OK as well as a few other folders she had made - new mails came in fine after I reset the user details, as all the smtp /pop3 settings were blank - user name and password were OK.

Yesterday I was installing TB in a W7 PC -- damn thing wouldn't install, just hung. Ended up using Windows Live Mail - no problems.

Seen TB corrupt on XP many times as well- so its not just W7.

pctek
06-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Mine is Version 2.0.0.21 and I haven't any issues. Version problem perhaps?

wainuitech
06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Dunno :confused: Downloaded TB from their site 3.0.4 - it was going into a customers Netbook.

It should be able to work OK, as other apps that were installed work fine - Office, Snagit, Windows Live mail, FireFox.

It even "HAD":groan: Norton internet security (notice "HAD") That was the first thing that came out.;)

Edited: back to original post -
I have uninstalled T/B and re-installed, but that has made it worse. That sounds a bit like corruption someplace - a new install on top of damaged existing files can do that.

Agent_24
06-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Check your drive for errors and maybe do a memory test as well to see if you can find the source of the corruption