PDA

View Full Version : Email delivery error message: What does it mean?

Billy T
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi Team

I run two separate business email accounts, one on Xtra and one on Orcon

I've been corresponding with an Australian firm on business via the Xtra account, and several weeks back I ceased to receive their replies. In the end I rang them, found out that they were receiving and responding but I was not getting the messages and they were getting no indication that there was a problem.

I changed to my Orcon account and all was well, until now that is!!

A few minutes ago I replied to an incoming message (using the Orcon Account) and got this response:

This is a system generated message. Please DO NOT REPLY.

Your message was not delivered for the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <xxx@xxx-industries.net>
Reason: Rejected by CA Gateway Security (RBL)

For more information on why this message wasn't delivered, and an explanati on of other common mail delivery errors, visit our Web site at:

http://xtra.co.nz/maildelivery

Kind regards.

The Xtra Messaging Team

As recommended in the message I looked on Xtra's site for the answers but found nothing so PF1 seems the next logical option.

Is this error message due to rejection by Oz, either their ISP or their own mail server, or is it something at the NZ end?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

PinoyKiw
05-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I have had this happen before myself.

Could be that the remote server is screening for keywords. Or it might be upset with the number of CC or BCC names you have in the message and then treating it as spam. Another thing is that Orcon as a ISP might be blacklisted, in that case you might have to ask them to get there IT people to whitelist you or you might be blocked.

Usually re-sending again, maybe sending each message to each person one at a time rather than maybe using CC or BCC in case someone has accidently created a block on your address.

Safari
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I have had this happen before myself.

Could be that the remote server is screening for keywords. Or it might be upset with the number of CC or BCC names you have in the message and then treating it as spam. Another thing is that Orcon as a ISP might be blacklisted, in that case you might have to ask them to get there IT people to whitelist you or you might be blocked.

Usually re-sending again, maybe sending each message to each person one at a time rather than maybe using CC or BCC in case someone has accidently created a block on your address.

It is coming from Xtra not Orcon as he has Telecom BB and will be sending through Xtra SMTP

RBL Real Time Black Hole Lists is a black list used by various anti spam organizations. It looks as if Xtra may have got themselves on the black list being used by the recipient industries.net

PinoyKiw
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
It is coming from Xtra not Orcon as he has Telecom BB and will be sending through Xtra SMTP. RBL Real Time Black Hole Lists is a black list used by various anti spam organizations. It looks as if Xtra may have got themselves on the black list being used by the recipient industries.net

Makes sense. I overlooked that BillyT was sending via xtra.

Billy T
05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
It is coming from Xtra not Orcon as he has Telecom BB and will be sending through Xtra SMTP. RBL Real Time Black Hole Lists is a black list used by various anti spam organizations. It looks as if Xtra may have got themselves on the black list being used by the recipient industries.net

That makes sense. It doesn't explain my prior problems in receiving their mail on my Xtra address because that appears to be an incoming failure at their end, but if Xtra is the common denominator and they are now rejecting all incoming from Xtra it would fit with Safari's diagnosis.

Time to break out the Gmail address and ask them to check, but if that dies as well, the only one I have left is a Freenet addy that may well be defunct by now, it is years since I last used it.

I'll try tonight and report back on the morrow.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
06-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I think I may have outsmarted myself. :blush:

I sent a message via Gmail, but on reflection I realised that I don't have any idea how webmail works.

Obviously I didn't have to set it up for pop and smtp etc, but does it end up using the same feature of Xtra that is currently blacklisted into the RBL, or does it bypass all of that? It also figures that my freenet address will be useless as well as that will definitely require transmission via Xtra.

I haven't had an answer yet, so I'm getting a bit concerned that I may have no means of email access to this company at all. I can phone or fax them of course, but I'd prefer to email if possible.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Add Gmail to your email client. Then you can send / receive from Gmail, from your email program.

I know Xnet does something similar with emails from Avast. If I register Avast free, so I can get a free key. I have to go to the Gmail site to get it. Since, (I've configured Gmail to forward emails to my normal email), thanks (for nothing) to Xnet, they think any emails from Avast, are phishing emails, so their email server rejects them. I sent Xnet an email 3-4 mths ago, asking why they're blocking emails from Avast.

And I'm still waiting for a reply

Billy T
06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Well, I added it to my email client (Outlook), but I'm getting an error message when I try to send a test email to my Xtra account and I can't see why. The error message is:

Task 'ACAL-Gmail - Sending' reported error (0x80004005) : 'Outlook's request to the server failed.
The server responded ''. '

I guess ".' must be code for 'F-Off Noddy and come back when you get it right', but why do they use such obscure error messages when plain text could point you in the right direction. :(

I think it must be one of two entries, either the server url or my user name.

I have entered the server as https://mail.google.com and my user name as 'username' but I'm not sure if that shouldn't be username@gmail.com

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
CA Gateway Security is a fully integrated, multi-layered security solution that helps protect your business from a wide range of business and network integrity threats, including spam, viruses, spyware, phishing, confidential data loss, peer-to-peer file sharing, malicious mobile code and inappropriate Internet use and content access.

Whoever is using that is flagging your email as bad for whatever reason and blocking it...

Find out who is using CA Gateway Security and maybe you can get them to fix it

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
You dont put an http server in for gmail. Its username @ gmail.com. And either pop or imap, for incoming.

For OL 07 (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77689)

Or OL 03 (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75291). There's a tool on the Gmail site, that'll configure it for you

Morgenmuffel
06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Umm if billy adds gmail to his email client won't he have the same issue with xtras smtp server.

Whereas if he uses the web mail it won't go through xtra (actually if he used Orcons webmail, it wouldn't either)

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Well no. Just dont forward emails from Gmail. Then it wont have to go through Xtra or Orcon. (The emails should come straight from Gmail).

If you add an imap account, the folders that are on Gmail, will appear in OL

Safari
06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Well no. Just dont forward emails from Gmail. Then it wont have to go through Xtra or Orcon. (The emails should come straight from Gmail).

If you add an imap account, the folders that are on Gmail, will appear in OL

It will still show as originating from a Telecom IP address.
If the black list has blocked this as well as the mail server IP there might still be a problem

Billy T
06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Refocussing on the problem, I need to communicate with an Australian company by email to confirm delivery arrangements for incoming goods, but my primary and secondary email accounts go through Xtra and that appears to be being blocked by the dreaded RBL.

I am given to understand, by opinions expressed here, that the RBL is probably at the OZ end of the communication path because all other email communications on those accounts are normal. If anybody has reason to believe that the RBL might be at this side of the Tasman, I would appreciate seeing that opinion.

I want to avoid Xtra completely by using Gmail in webmail format so I selected the HTTP option as I wanted to avoid POP3/SMTP, in the hope that this would bypass the RBL

Connection is via Lan, and I am unsure of the format required in the 'Server type" but have entered https://mail.google.com, which is not working.

Username is entered minus the @gmail.com etc

I notice that the "Test Account Settings" box appears for my two pop3 accounts but not for the Gmail, which suggests to me that provided this is not dedicated to POP3 accounts only, there may be something incorrect in my settings, but they seem so simple that I can't imagine there is anything wrong. My guess is simply that you can't test webmail in the same way that you can POP3 etc.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Get teamviewer. And I'll do it for you.

Safari
06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Billy- what are you talking about server settings for if you just want to send an email from your Gmail account using gmail from the website.

Just go to gmail.com
Compose a new message and send it.

Billy T
06-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Billy- what are you talking about server settings for if you just want to send an email from your Gmail account using gmail from the website. Just go to gmail.com Log in with your gmail username and password.
Compose a new message and send it.

I'm familiar with that process, and that's what I have done in the interim, but for convenience I wanted to be able to select from Private, Business or Gmail accounts in Outlook.

I sent a message via Gmail, but on reflection I realised that I don't have any idea how webmail works. Obviously I didn't have to set it up for pop and smtp etc, but does it end up using the same feature of Xtra that is currently blacklisted into the RBL, or does it bypass all of that?

My main problem is that I'm not 100% sure whether web mail (Gmail) would bypass the RBL or whether it will still have Xtra attached somewhere and get rejected again. I'm reasonably confident that it won't be associated with Xtra in any way or be rejected but I've had no answer from Oz and that is a worry. I can phone them but I've been a bit of a thorn in their side due to non-receipt of their emails for some equally inexplicable reason and I only got a couple away via my Orcon address before that shut down too.

It's a mucky situation and especially annoying when it is just that one company that is suddenly having or giving problems.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused::confused::confused:

fred_fish
06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
An RBL will only be checked for the IP of the connecting server.
Any other Received lines can easily be faked so are useless to lookup.
It sounds like CA Gateway Security is misconfigured, using a badly designed blocklist. or Xtra & Orcon have been allowing outbound spam through their servers (although there would be more widespread probs if that was the case) .

sroby
07-05-2010, 09:49 AM
If the ISP has been blacklisted, this will often clear withing a few days.
---------------
There is a 3rd possibility, just throwing it out there, dont take offence.

It could be that his email has been put on a blacklist at that company he is trying to send to, unlikely but posssible.

I know of company Management(in a few NZ companies I had contact with or worked for), who sent out mass unsolicited email & yet they didnt consider this as spam (" its not spam, we are a legitimate company")
I even had one client who wanted me into investigate why his email (he was spamming) was being blocked.

Billy T
07-05-2010, 10:32 AM
If the ISP has been blacklisted, this will often clear withing a few days.
---------------
There is a 3rd possibility, just throwing it out there, dont take offence. It could be that his email has been put on a blacklist at that company he is trying to send to, unlikely but posssible.

No offence taken. I am expecting a fairly big and heavy package from them in a few weeks and to save me the high cost of single-unit air freight it is coming as part of a major shipment by sea to another of their clients (their idea, not mine) so I think we are in a reasonably harmonious business relationship .

I think that the best thing I can do at this point is send them another Gmail message, then follow that up with a fax containing the failed message history and the RBL message so they can get their IT people to check it out.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kamo1
07-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Billy T,

I think you should try resetting your xtra mail account. Go to your mail account/properties to bring up the server tab. Tick the "My Server requires authentication" Incoming(POP3) stay the same as pop3.xtra.co.nz
Outgoing(SMTP) change it to send.xtra.co.nz
Next go to the Advance Tab and set the outgoing mail port to 465 & Incoming port to 995 and also tick both SSL boxes. Click Apply & OK to try out the new settings.
These settings work for my friend who has the same problem . I hope it does for you.

PaulD
07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Billy T,

I think you should try resetting your xtra mail account. Go to your mail account/properties to bring up the server tab. Tick the "My Server requires authentication" Incoming(POP3) stay the same as pop3.xtra.co.nz
Next go to the Advance Tab and set the outgoing mail port to 465 & Incoming port to 995 and also tick both SSL boxes. Click Apply & OK to try out the new settings.
These settings work for my friend who has the same problem . I hope it does for you.

Last week I had to change my settings from 465/995/SSL etc back to 25/110/no SSL. Incoming email was just sitting on the server and not downloading. Maybe it will necessary to change back at some time but for the moment the old settings work better for me.

Billy T
07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Billy T,

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have vague recollections of doing this on my old computer some years back and I think I still have the notes I made at the timer in a txt file. I'll turn it on tomorrow and see what settings I was using anyway, though the problem started while I was still using that box, and I wasn't receiving their replies to my emails. Now it seems to be the other way around.

I have received a reply to my latest email to Oz (sent via Gmail) which explained the problem and included a dump of the error message as well and they are checking their system just in case. They replied to my business email address so we still have one way communication.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)