PDA

View Full Version : Transferring data from one PC to another

nofam
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
A workmate has asked me how to go about moving all their pics/docs etc from their old PC to a new one, and I was just wondering what the best option was?

I could do it manually, use the file transfer wizard, or was thinking, space permitting, I could turn the old PC into a VM, and mount it in the new PC - this actually appeals to me, as they could then pull their old files across at their leisure (said workmate is an older chap, and not terribly computer literate).

Any/all advice is welcome! :thumbs:

wratterus
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I slave the drive, double check the important folders are all accessible (sometimes there can be permission issues) and copy the lot to a folder on the desktop. Then put the obvious stuff back where it belongs, desktop/docs/pics/music/favourites/email etc, more than likely they will never need to go back into the folder and it can be deleted after a few months, or if there's something saved in an odd place or whatever, you can dive into that folder and pull it out.

In saying that though, there is no wrong way...whatever works best for the situation. ;)

PinoyKiw
05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
External portable hard drive, copy everything onto that and copy onto new system.

Copy to DVD so there is a back up copy.

Take the hard drive out of the old machine and place in the new system as additional hard drive space and copy files from there to where ever they wanted.

I beleive you can use a cross over cable to move from system to system but not familair with that.

Or, your idea of course.

And probably other ways of doing it as well.

bevy121
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
why not just throw the hard drive in the new machine as slave and copy/move them over from there

*EDIT - snap PinoyKiw and wratt :) *

pctek
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
External portable hard drive, - if they don't want or want to sell the old PC use the drive as one of these.

If they do then

Take the hard drive out of the old machine and place in the new system and transfer their personal stuff over.

nmercer
05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
it helps to know what Operating System is running the old one, and what you are moving to on the new PC...

nofam
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the advice all - I think slaving is still the easiest for both parties, so will probably do this. Given the owner's age, I doubt he's got 900Mb of music and a few Gb of movie rips tucked away at any rate ;)

@nmercer - not sure yet, but from what he's told me about the age of the two PC's, I'd guess XP.

CYaBro
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
With the size of new HDDs these days, I usually just slave the old drive in the new machine and copy the whole lot into a folder called 'Old PC'.
Then from there you can move stuff to its proper location like Documents, pictures, email etc.
Then, later on, if you missed something you still have the 'Old PC' folder there so you can go find what you missed.

nofam
06-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Just discussing this further this morning, and another thing he'd like done is all his mail/contacts moved over from OE to OE on the new machine; is there an easy way to do this? Or do I just manually copy the .dbx and .wab files across?

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Export / import the contacts and copy the dbx folders / files