PDA

View Full Version : Interesting problem fix

linw
04-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Had a Vista m/c here that had spasmodic problems connecting to the relatively new BB connection at the owner's place. I deleted the dial-up and one other spurious connection leaving just the Marvel one.

All worked fine on my network, so I then uninstalled all the ACER crapware (boy, that must load the m/c down), AVG free, plus several startup culprits but was hacked off to find Vista would periodically not get past the driver load phase. Damn!

Checked a few things to no avail then turned on Hidden Devices in Device Mgr. Wow, there were at least 20 phantom network devices! Many deletes later, it cleaned up and looked just like my own Vista setup.

To my relief, this seemed to fix the dvr load stall as well. It also reduced the dvr load time from 7 green bar traverses to 5. Very happy with its performance after this.

So, maybe, Vista was trying to load dvrs for all the phantoms??

(Owner said the ISP helpdesk kept getting her to mess with the network device so that would be where all the phantoms came from).

Something else to look for!

wainuitech
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
good thing to remember :thanks

ubergeek85
05-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I'd never noticed that little option. Blimey, it hides a lot!

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Thats how trojans / rootkits install their drivers. Under hidden devices. Most people wouldn't know its there. You can tell which ones are screwed / not working. They'll have a X beside them

SP8's
05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Excuse my ignorance Speedy, but in Geeksters thumbnails none of the entries are marked with an "X" .... how do you know which entries are legit / required. I can see that there are some duplicates, however, I'm not that computer savy to know which ones get rid of.

Can you enlighten me any further without excessive tech speak ?

TIA

Speedy Gonzales
05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I didnt say the pic had X's in it. I'm just saying the ones that do have X's (under hidden devices) are probably stuffed or not working properly (or you've uninstalled a program, but the drivers for it are still there). Which may cause probs (you may see errors for the program in event viewer, when windows loads).

Do a search in google for whatever the name of the driver is. That'll tell you if its something nasty. The non plug and play entry hasnt been clicked on in that pic. Thats where the X's can appear. If the X appears under one of the other entries, there's a prob with whatever device (or it maybe disabled). And if there's a ? you haven't installed the drivers for whatever

tweak'e
05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
So, maybe, Vista was trying to load dvrs for all the phantoms??

its probably acer related. the other thing is if they are doing the old trick of loading the OS with every driver for multiable pc's. so OS has a lot of unneeded crap loaded that it doesn't use.

linw
05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
its probably acer related. the other thing is if they are doing the old trick of loading the OS with every driver for multiable pc's. so OS has a lot of unneeded crap loaded that it doesn't use.

No, can't blame ACER for what I saw. There were at least 20 for the network device all labelled with #1, #2 etc.