PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Motherboard Question

i-gordon
04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
My motherboard has died. ASUS P4S8x-x. Processor P4 2.66Gb with HT.(very common) I see plenty of motherboards on TradeMe that will take this processor but none exactly the same. Do I need an exact match?, so that WindowsXp on the hard drive will accept the board. A missmatch will almost certianly result in a BSOD. If I try to upgrade the board and processor and then reinstall WindowsXP Microsoft won't reactivate, so I have to buy a new OS. Has anyone had any recent experience with this problem.?
Looking forward to some help.
Thanks,
Ian

wainuitech
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Depending on the chipsets you may get away with it, it depends if the chipsets/ Drivers are close enough sometimes you plug in the new board and if they are close enough windows may auto pick up drivers other wise you install the new drivers from the CD that comes with the board. other times you have to do a repair install. If you want to use the same CPU, it had to be the same socket as you currently have.

Once again sometimes you can change a board and it doesn't affect windows activation - other times you have to call MS and manually reactivate Windows.

i-gordon
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Wainuitech,
Thanks for the reply,
Microsoft seem to regard the motherboard and processor as the base system for an OEM windows. Change these parts and its a new computer. I had to go through a Q & A session with microsoft once before when I replaced the hard drive and did a reinstall. It woul be really annoying to rebuild the computer back to approx the original specs and not be able to activate, when if I knew in advance it would be better to go for an upgrade. A motherboard change only from trademe is around about $50.00 S/Hand. Whereas an upgrade with a new OS like windows7 is probably about $400.00 or more. As it stands its a $50 gamble. Wish I could improve the odds.

Ian

hueybot3000
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
+1 for what wainui said.

And if you get the same chipset theres a pretty good chance itl just boot and be fine, maybe a few new drivers

i-gordon
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
The ASUS P4S6X-X Motherboard has a SiS 648 Chipset. Socket 478. If I can locate a motherboard with the SiS 648. Socket 478 specs it would seemto be a good bet. Thanks for the help guys.
If anyone else has any thing to add it would be appreciated.

Ian

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
A missmatch will almost certianly result in a BSOD. If I try to upgrade the board and processor and then reinstall WindowsXP Microsoft won't reactivate, so I have to buy a new OS

There is no rule here at all, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Upgrading\changing with same chipset families or brands often works more likely than not, though.

I know from experience that going from an SiS 530 to an Intel 440BX is impossible (or maybe it was the other way around?)

Only thing really you can do is try it and see.

If you do run into issues you may be able to fix them by booting Safe Mode, uninstalling the old device drivers and then installing the new ones.

As for Windows activation, I have done all sorts of strange things with my XP and Microsoft always have helped me out over the phone if the online activation failed.

If you reinstall or not, the new hardware will trigger re-activation anyway.

wainuitech
04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Microsoft seem to regard the motherboard and processor as the base system for an OEM windows. Change these parts and its a new computer. "legally" yes you are 100% correct.

Read what Agent_24 posted regarding activation though.

Sometimes the smallest hardware change can trigger activation, like upgrading a graphic Card.

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
I used to have the P4S8x-x. The worst mobo I've had. It had a fault (dont know if this applied to all). But it lagged (it took at least 30 secs to a min, for it to catch up), with anything I did in windows. I would get an Intel mobo

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I used to have the P4S8x-x. The worst mobo I've had. It had a fault (dont know if this applied to all). But it lagged (it took at least 30 secs to a min, for it to catch up), with anything I did in windows. I would get an Intel mobo

Sounds like a faulty board or a seriously misconfigured system. SiS chipsets were never awesome on the performance front but you shouldn't get 30 seconds of lag while trying to do something.

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Well it didnt matter how many times I formatted the hdd, The lag was still there. And it was configured properly, Dont know what the prob was, I no longer have it. It got so annoying I biffed it a few yrs ago

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
From the sounds of it the board was most likely faulty

sroby
06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
... I see plenty of motherboards on TradeMe that will take this processor ...

- chances are these older trademe m/b's are possibly faulty/unreliable. Be suspicious of old mb sold without CPU/ram (good old 'untested hardware' auctions)

-just save yourself some grief & reload
-when you ring MS, some techs would just say only 'I had to reload the OS'
-or go to PBTech & by a good ex-lease PC for $250 (or less)

Agent_24
06-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Ironically I bought a used Asus K8N from Trademe 4 years ago, it's had almost daily use and it's still running perfectly.

I also bought a barely used Asus K8V-VM which only lasted about a year of infrequent use :(

i-gordon
07-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the replys everyone,
Update.
I bought an Intel D875PBZ, P4 3.2GHz.on TradeMe and reinstalled Windows. Big suprise when I reactivated online without any problem. Didnt have to ring Microsoft at all. Every thing running nicely now and faster as well.

Ian

Agent_24
07-05-2010, 12:08 PM
There is a certain period of time where the hardware ID "expires" and you can re-activate automatically with no problems (I think it is 6 months or so)

This allows for the usual hardware upgrades\reinstalls etc yet prevents someone trying to activate 5 computers on different machines in the same week with the same key.