PDA

View Full Version : Telecom Blunder?

Sweep
04-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Toll calls being increased 25% in price:-

http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2010/0504.shtml

WalOne
04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
All you can eat national calling for AU$6.85 a month with Skype. Vodaphone for my mobile calls. Orcon for broadband and local calling.

Once naked broadband becomes a reality, that's where I'm headed. In the meantime, who needs Telecom? I don't. :)

KarameaDave
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Ah, naked broadband, bastion of the Pron industry:D

WalOne
04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
:o

Chilling_Silence
04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah I'm surprised, with the likes of 2talk offering such cheap VoIP rates, and ADSL reliability increasing constantly, why anybody makes more than the occasional toll call using a PSTN / ISDN line is beyond me :p

gary67
04-05-2010, 08:34 PM
We have gone VoIP wasn't by choice was part of a package won by son and so far I have to say it's working fine been on for a month with only one minor outage of 15 mins

Roscoe
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Why anyone would use Telecom for toll calls is beyond me when there are so many cheaper alternatives.

Who cares if they increase their toll charges? I use one of those many alternatives.

The best alternative though, is Skype. I talk to my youngest in Sydney on Skype regularly and we can see each other as well. We talk up to an hour at no cost. Can't see why you can't do that with toll calls throughout NZ as well. Does not come much cheaper than FREE.:thumbs:

Ollie
04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Why anyone would use Telecom for toll calls is beyond me when there are so many cheaper alternatives.

Who cares if they increase their toll charges? I use one of those many alternatives.

The best alternative though, is Skype. I talk to my youngest in Sydney on Skype regularly and we can see each other as well. We talk up to an hour at no cost. Can't see why you can't do that with toll calls throughout NZ as well. Does not come much cheaper than FREE.:thumbs:

Skype chews up a lot of bandwidth

somebody
04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
It's a great strategic move on their part. The people who _actually_ use Telecom for toll calls probably won't know enough about the alternatives (or can't be bothered) to change to a cheaper service. People who know about 2Talk, Skype, or other long distance providers won't be using Telecom for toll calls anyway, so it's not like they'd be losing a lot of customers in that respect.

Chilling_Silence
04-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Not really. Uncompressed g711 uses 64kbps + overheads... Even that isn't much.

johcar
04-05-2010, 11:37 PM

Not if you don't use video...

Not really. Uncompressed g711 uses 64kbps + overheads... Even that isn't much.

And plan prices are coming down (slowly) and caps and speeds going up (more slowly), across the board...

I've been using Skype as primary toll call provider for a couple of years. I've even bought a Skype landline (about $50 p.a.?) and a subscription (about $7.50 a month) so I can call any landline in NZ for zip (well, OK, if I only make one call a month, it costs me $7.50....)

Only disadvantage is that I can't call 083 or 0800 numbers - the latter isn't a biggie since if there is a 'normal' number I can get to that free anyway, but the other is a pain: 083033 is a conference call number, so I have to resort to a 20th century phone for those...

pctek
05-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Y, with the likes of 2talk offering such cheap VoIP rates, and ADSL reliability increasing constantly, why anybody makes more than the occasional toll call using a PSTN / ISDN line is beyond me :p

I like landlines. Cellphones don't work in a lot of the country. Even here, it's got this weird echo effect........

VOIP - you need decent broadband/line.

However, why anyone continues to bother with Telecom is beyond me, I ditched them years ago.

ANd since moving to a cellphone coverage area, I have bought a cellphone - Vodafone of course.

pablo d
05-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Telecom Blunder?

Slow news day more like. Telecom do free unlimited national calling on their Home plan. If you gave a **** about national calling, you'd already be on that plan.

Chilling_Silence
05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
If you gave a **** about national calling, you'd already be on that plan.

Lets correct that quote:

If you gave a **** about any calling, you'd already be using VoIP.

pablo d
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
get my nana to use VOIP and I'll agree with you :D

paulw
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
get my nana to use VOIP and I'll agree with you :D

Which is fine until your Internet dies or the router goes off line. I have both a Landline via Orcon and the VOIP line via 2Talk. I know which one is more reliable..

Bozo
05-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Telecom aren't too bad.

Yes I don't like most of their crap, but the plan I'm on currently, I am rather happy with.

$130/month gets me nation wide toll-free calling at any time and 40gb of data. Not too shabby IMO.

R2x1
06-05-2010, 09:25 AM
And all the Telecom you can stomach. ;)