PDA

View Full Version : dog off leash

lance4k
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
my mate wants me to care for his dog for a few days. i don't have a fence on my property but is it legal to leave the dog off the leash on my own property? if the dog wanders off my property and bites someone, i or the dog owner am not liable right?

Sweep
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Incorrect.

Terry Porritt
04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
If your property is not securely fenced and dog proof, then you shouldn't even consider having or looking after a dog.

WalOne
04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
There should be no question here. There is only one answer. Forget about it. Now.

Trev
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
my mate wants me to care for his dog for a few days. i don't have a fence on my property but is it legal to leave the dog off the leash on my own property? if the dog wanders off my property and bites someone, i or the dog owner am not liable right?
Yes you or the owner are liable. You or the owner could possibly get a hefty fine or go to jail if convicted and the dog destroyed. Look up your local councils by laws as they differ from region to region.
:)

WalOne
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Yes you or the owner are liable. You or the owner could possibly get a hefty fine or go to jail if convicted and the dog destroyed. Look up your local councils by laws as they differ from region to region.
:)

In this scenario the owner would get away scot free. By accepting guardianship, lance4k also assumes total responsibility to obey all the legal requirements for keeping the animal on the property and its behaviour.

Which I why I said in a previous post, under these circumstances, don't even think about it.

Zippity
04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Better still, go for it and let us know the outcome :)

WalOne
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
:lol::lol:

qazwsxokmijn
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
if the dog wanders off my property and bites someone, i or the dog owner am not liable right?
idiot.....

Terry Porritt
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
idiot.....

x 1001....You should see what I originally wrote, then thought about the forum rules :clap

R2x1
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Take the dog off the leash only to put it on the bbq.

PinoyKiw
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Take the dog off the leash only to put it on the bbq.

From experience I can tell you that BBQ'ed dog meat is very nice especially the way my mother-in-law does it.:banana

R2x1
04-05-2010, 08:12 PM
The recommended way for mother-in-laws to cook dog is
a. Hold it on her lap throughout the baking, or
b. Grill it with her fiery breath

qazwsxokmijn
04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
From experience I can tell you that BBQ'ed dog meat is very nice especially the way my mother-in-law does it.:banana
:yuck:

kenj
04-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Watch it.... Look at my avatar :)

Seriously lance4k...are you really serious, or are you just winding us up? (as usual)

Ken

PinoyKiw
04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
The recommended way for mother-in-laws to cook dog is
a. Hold it on her lap throughout the baking, or
b. Grill it with her fiery breath

What can I say..........other than neither of the above methods is how she cooks a dog. Better than fillet of rat though which my sister-in-law has served up in sauce. The joys of living oversea's.

gary67
04-05-2010, 08:43 PM
What can I say..........other than neither of the above methods is how she cooks a dog. Better than fillet of rat though which my sister-in-law has served up in sauce. The joys of living oversea's.

Would that be ratatouille?

Roscoe
04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
You are responsible for the dog and his behaviour while you are looking after him, on or off your property.

Best way to keep him under control is on a lead. Too bad if he does not like it. You need to know where he is and what he is doing at all times. Anything less is irresponsible.

Ice Road Trucker
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Watch it.... Look at my avatar :)

Hope you don't mind me asking, is that a corgi in your avatar?

gary67
05-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Not just any corgi but Sir Corgi by Royal appointment to Kenj :lol:

wmoore
05-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Yes it is legal to have the dog off leash on your own property.:groan:
BUT if the dog is not under your control and bites someone then
you are liable.
Is your mate going away ? wouldn't it be better that the dog stays at your mates house and you stay there while he is gone. or go round each night to feed and walk the dog.

Ice Road Trucker
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Or put it into kennels.

kenj
05-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Miss Molly as a 7 week old Pembroke Welsh Corgi pup... now 9 years old.

Not just any corgi but Sir Corgi by Royal appointment to Kenj

Actually Gary, we are related to the Queen "by Corgi" :banana

Ken

lance4k
06-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes it is legal to have the dog off leash on your own property.:groan:
BUT if the dog is not under your control and bites someone then
you are liable.
Is your mate going away ? wouldn't it be better that the dog stays at your mates house and you stay there while he is gone. or go round each night to feed and walk the dog.

wohooo. thanks for answering my question.when my mate gives me his dog i am probably going to take the risk and leave the dog off the leash on my property. awesome it's legal.

wratterus
06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
You are a Muppet.

Ice Road Trucker
06-05-2010, 03:33 PM
wohooo. thanks for answering my question.when my mate gives me his dog i am probably going to take the risk and leave the dog off the leash on my property. awesome it's legal.

You better hope that the dog doesn't wonder off and bite someone.

Otherwise you are going to be in deep trouble.

qazwsxokmijn
06-05-2010, 04:50 PM
You're a moron for more than two reasons in this case. There is a chance the dog would also wander away and get lost, get hit by a car, get stolen etc. The second reason is that there is the risk of the dog attacking someone/killing a smaller animal.

Your friend is either in a hurry or friendless enough to get YOU to take care of his dog while he's gone.

Jen
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Lance4k is a troll. I would advise you completely ignore his threads.

He was given a warning that any opinion/comment type thread he creates, he must also continue to participate in it. This was to prevent the previous hit and run style that did nothing but rile people up.

Any more stupid examples of posts like this will result in your account being terminated.

Ice Road Trucker
06-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Any more stupid examples of posts like this will result in your account being terminated.

Are you referring to lance4k or all members?

Jen
06-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I was referring to lance4k.

Metla
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Meh, I believe we should be proud of his efforts, they are always impressive.

pctek
06-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Sons girlfriend works for Dog Control. She says they'd do both of you as well as euthanise the dog......although the dog would get a years jail first.

Scouse
06-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Friend of mine worked at a police station where they took a rabid half-wild lunatic of a dog in to custody for attacking a kid. Months later the case was finally resolved - by which time the dog was well fed, twice the weight, groomed and looking good. They had spent a fortune feeding the thing and having the local vet care for it. The court decided that it should be put down ......

roddy_boy
07-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Man you guys are sad. Dogs shouldn't be tied up or restricted to a small pen in the backyard. Our dogs have always roamed free, if they go and cause trouble they learn pretty quickly not to do so. It depends where you live I guess.

Ninjabear
07-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I had a big garden for my dog to roam. There was a big fence around the perimeter. There was no escaping .lol

Laura
08-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Lance4k is a troll. I would advise you completely ignore his threads.

He was given a warning that any opinion/comment type thread he creates, he must also continue to participate in it. This was to prevent the previous hit and run style that did nothing but rile people up.

Thanks, Jen, for bringing some realism to this thread.
He was obviously simply stirring this time.
On other occasions, there was a possibility that he was merely thick.
But now the trolling clues are so obvious that he's a great candidate for blacklisting.

Boring...

Zippity
08-05-2010, 02:42 AM
If he bugs you so, why not just ignore him/her?

He/she is harmless and is no worse than some of the other idiots who post here :)

Laura
08-05-2010, 04:06 AM
If he bugs you so, why not just ignore him/her?

He/she is harmless and is no worse than some of the other idiots who post here :)

Thanks for reminding me we have the choice of putting anyone on our own Ignore List.

It opens a world of possibilities...