PDA

View Full Version : Seagate 500GB SATA > USB2 backup drive is partly dead

braindead
04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
It is partly dead, but like a zombie, it walks! Help! Before I throw it or me out a high window.

This is a backup drive, connected to USB via a SATA adapter. It's been working fine for some months. All of a sudden my XP SP3 machine refuses to recognise it.

It spins up when power is applied but other than that, nothing. Usually the red led in the adapter plug starts blinking a few seconds after the usb cable is connected and then the drive appears in the file manager. But this drive...not.

The adapter is fine...a second Seagate HD with the same specs is detected with no problem.

I used Hard Disk Sentinel to scan for the missing drive. It notes there is a USB device connected but there is no other info listed, as there is with other "good" drives.

Any ideas/suggestions extremely appreciated!!!

inphinity
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
What happens if you just plug the drive straight into the SATA controller instead of the USB/SATA adapter?

braindead
04-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Forgot to mention that I tried that too, in my fault-finding attempts. No detection of the drive in the file manager

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Does the drive show up in device manager and the BIOS when you plug it straight in?

If so, it means the HDD is probably OK but the partition table has been corrupted (files can most likely be recovered easily with a program like File Scavenger)