PDA

View Full Version : Laptop not recognising hard drive's

turtle63
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
My client has a laptop that was corrupted with virus's, backed up his data then went to do a reload, keeps coming up with error after hitting setup Windows.
Setup did not find any hard drives installed in your computer.
Have worked through deleting partition, formatting the lot using Partition Comander, decided it must be the drive at fault even tho all test show it passed.
Putting it on another computer shows it as Active healthy etc
Tried another drive with the same issue.
Could this be a case of the Cmos getting corrupt or something like that?
I am stuck for ideas now so any help apreciated

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
If its a SATA hdd, and youre trying to install XP (from a normal XP cd). It cant find the hdd, because there's no SATA drivers. You'll have to change it to IDE emulation / MODE (change it from AHCI in the BIOS).

Or slipstream the SATA drivers. Or get the SATA drivers, extract them to a floppy, then press F6 before you get to the setup screen, then install them. However, you cant change it back to AHCI after Windows has been installed (If you leave it on IDE mode). It'll crash

turtle63
04-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Cheers for that, had just done a google and of course there was the same kind of answer, it was in the Bios, just needed Sata to be disabled not enabled and went through ok.

Would you change it back to enabled after reload?

It was enabled so....

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
If you change it to IDE mode, then install XP, it'll install. BUT like I said, you cant change it back to AHCI mode after. It'll crash the system, before it gets to windows.

If you want to keep it on AHCI mode, you'll have to either slipstream the SATA drivers, (so you'll have to copy the cd to the hdd, then use Nlite or something to slipstream the drivers / updates if you want).

You'll also need a blank cd, and something to burn it with, before you install XP. Or you'll need a floppy, so you can extract the SATA drivers. Then when it says to press F6 on the screen, thats when you put the floppy in, so it can load the SATA drivers. BEFORE you get to the setup screen. Then it'll see the hdd

turtle63
04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Think I'll leave it as it is, whats not broke dont fix it :)
Seems to be running ok as is.

Cheers for the answer

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2010, 04:11 PM
No probs