PDA

View Full Version : screen display problem (640 X 480)

Thomas01
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I think its my fault.
I used Windows to clean up my C drive and compress rarely used files. Something I have avoided in the past but yesterday I did it.
I am using XP

Today when I booted up I found myself stuck on 640 X 480 display.
Miles too big and half my icons on the desktop are off screen etc.
When I go to change back to a better presentation I can change the settings OK but the "OK" button to activate my new setting is off screen. And I cannot move the panel enough to show the button.

When I used Windows I did have a warning pop up on screen but it went before I could read and note it!!

I have done the usual things - tried restoring to an earlier date, used Registry Mechanic, etc.

Nothing so far.

Gosh I need help!
Tom

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Dont use registry cleaners. They can make things worse. Reinstall the video drivers

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
If the OK button is off the screen just press enter on your keyboard instead.

Although by default the Cancel button is probably selected first - just press Tab key once or twice to cycle through to the correct button and then press enter.

I've had to do this many times.... sometimes it's a matter of trial and error, you'll get the correct button eventually!

Thomas01
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Dont use registry cleaners. They can make things worse. Reinstall the video drivers

Yes I have always felt a bit reluctant about registry cleaners but admit to using Registry Mechanic for quite some years now and it seemed to do a good job.
But video drivers - oh dear.
Dunno where mine are (really old computer) but I will endeavor to find them.
I was hoping that there is some way of using the keyboard instead of hitting the OK button and have already found "ENTER" doesn't work.

Peter H
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Try it in safe mode.

Slim
04-05-2010, 02:05 PM
How about a Temporary change on the DPI settings to say 80 or 70 dpi, so that you see the entire window. When your resolution is fixed go back to standard 96 dpi setting.

Would this work Speedy ?.

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Dunno where mine are (really old computer) but I will endeavor to find them.
I was hoping that there is some way of using the keyboard instead of hitting the OK button and have already found "ENTER" doesn't work.

Do you know what your video card is?

Like I said, pressing enter will only work if OK is the default selected item (which it clearly isn't)

You will need to use the Tab key to change buttons... You could try using Microsoft narrator to read out what is selected (start with Winkey+U)

Sweep
04-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Or as mentioned already safe mode will load default video drivers.

Thomas01
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I think I am in more trouble than I first realized.
Having found that the return and tab keys didn't work for me I went into safe mode.
This should have solved the problem as it was now possible to see the OK button etc.
It didn't work.
Even in safe mode there was no change - it just would not accept any changed setting.
So perhaps there are missing files etc.
I did check all my old boxes, storage etc for video/monitor drivers but no joy although I did find a disk for Leadtek (DRONEZ) which I think was with a previous monitor.
My computer is using the Default Monitor setting.
I feel that when I used Windows to compress my old files etc it deleted something.
I will try DRONEZ and see what happens if I can install it.
Tom

Thomas01
04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I was wrong again.
DRONEZ isn't some driver for video.
Its a flaming game.
Which I obviously never used anyway.
Now I am going to try googling for default video drivers if there is such a thing.

mzee
04-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Take note of the make & model of your computer & Motherboard. Go to the manufacturers web site & download the correct driver.

If you install the wrong driver you could end up with no display. It will be on the default VGA screen driver at the moment.

If you get the urge to clean up in future, use "Crap Cleaner", never known it to make a mistake.

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't think the resolution will change in Safe Mode, you have to reboot back into normal mode for the change to apply.

If you have a Leadtek card it should show a VGA BIOS sign-on message when you first turn on your PC

That may give some indication as to what your video card is.

Agent_24
04-05-2010, 04:14 PM
If you get the urge to clean up in future, use "Crap Cleaner", never known it to make a mistake.

If you have the game "Machinarium" you should be aware that running CCleaner can remove the save games (as the game uses Flash and the save files I think are stored in a temporary folder somewhere!)

Sweep
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
So what Motherboard and video card are you using?

If you don't know then download Speccy from here:-

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

PPp
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Just a thought,
Years ago the same thing happened to my W98 box and it took me ages to find some cleanup program had deleted the default Font. Enabled the font and things were back to normal. Don't know if this is helpful or not, but as I said just a thought

Thomas01
06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Well I had a lot of good advice but it looked as though I was getting out of my comfort zone and would probably make things worse.
My old very good technician had got fed up fixing computers and returned to uni to take a science degree so I decided to commit the unforgivable sin and call in somebody advertising in the local rag.
I was lucky. He came the next day at near enough the appointed time, loaded up with a bag full of drivers and 25 years experience.
He soon had everything running - reckoned I needed to get rid of a huge amount of junk I have on the computer and installed another anti virus program for me.
He charged me $45 which I reckoned was very fair.
The only complaint I had was that he did not tell me the thing was worn out - past saving and I really needed to buy another new computer.

SWMBO was obviously very pleased and suggested we celebrate with going out and having a steak dinner. We did and it was delightful.
And isn't it nice to go out these days and return from a pretty crowded restaurant NOT smelling of cigarette smoke.
Tom

Agent_24
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Good to see it's working now