PDA

View Full Version : Is My Vid Card REALLY Busy?

SurferJoe46
04-05-2010, 03:40 AM
When I have something like a YouTube running and I MIN the screen to get to another page, and I leave YouTube running but out of sight under that new page - is the VID card still doing all that rastering and painting and rendering the YouTube vid anyway?

What I mean is::: Is it still working or does it just fake me out when I re-click to view it and then it plays catch-up and looks like it was busy all the time but just out of sight? :waughh::waughh:

What to some may appear to be a silly question (that's why I put it on this side of the site, and not the tech side) - this really bothers me. :confused:

Battleneter2
04-05-2010, 08:16 AM
ummmm hard to fully get what you mean, are you sure your not just taking about streaming in the background?

Most apps do not utilise the GPU when minimised unless its running cuda or PhysX etc. Worst case youtube is very low GPU utilisation, probably lucky to be doing 10% of the work it would be doing in a high end game.

inphinity
04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
No.

kenj
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I think Joe means this...

"If a man speaks in a forest and there are no women present - is he still wrong"

Ken :banana

Metla
04-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I think Joe means this...

"If a man speaks in a forest and there are no women present - is he still wrong"

Ken :banana

Obviously.

And if he had asked for directions he wouldn't be lost in the forest to begin with.

kenj
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Obviously.

And if he had asked for directions he wouldn't be lost in the forest to begin with.

...or instructions! :clap

Ken

Erayd
04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
As of 10.1, Adobe Flash supports hardware acceleration of h264 decoding - so if you have that version or higher, then yes - it's entirely possible that the video card may still be busy doing that even while the video is hidden from view.

It won't be actually drawing the final output though, unless you are viewing the video, or running some kind of compositing window manager (e.g. KWin, Compiz etc).

SurferJoe46
04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
As of 10.1, Adobe Flash supports hardware acceleration of h264 decoding - so if you have that version or higher, then yes - it's entirely possible that the video card may still be busy doing that even while the video is hidden from view.

It won't be actually drawing the final output though, unless you are viewing the video, or running some kind of compositing window manager (e.g. KWin, Compiz etc).

TY - now on to my Calculus class - in finger paints!

Erayd
04-05-2010, 05:05 PM
TY - now on to my Calculus class - in finger paints!I predict that in a few minutes, that statement will confuse the hell out of people :devil.

SurferJoe46
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I predict that in a few minutes, that statement will confuse the hell out of people :devil.

Let 'em eat cake!

ubergeek85
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
The cake is a lie.

R2x1
06-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Untrue! It's real cake.

Although it IS low in Vegemite.

SurferJoe46
06-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Untrue! It's real cake.

Although it IS low in Vegemite.

The frosting is real, the insides are coagulated Vegemite.