PDA

View Full Version : WHY convert .flv files ?

hotkiwi
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I read on ablofg story about the problems people have with converting FLV files to WMV, AVI, MOV or whatever. i wonder why you would want to convert a flv file. in my experience the converted file is about 8 times as big without any gain in quality. Am I wrong ?

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
True but that depends on what you want to play it on. Thats why people convert flv. People convert it to burn it. So, they can watch it on a standalone DVD or something. And most programs probably wont load flv.

hotkiwi
03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
VLC is a great player though. And it is true that converting does not give quality gain, right ?

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
People convert them so they can play them on a standalone DVD player (NOT on a computer). So, you cant use programs like VLC player.

I've burned a few vids to DVD. Theyre fine, and have good enough sound

And if youre going to play them on a standalone DVD, there's not much you can do about it. But to convert it to a compatible format. So, a DVD can play it

utopian201
03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
VLC is a great player though. And it is true that converting does not give quality gain, right ?

Converting will always lose quality, unless you do a bit stream copy (ie no change of codec)

kahawai chaser
04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Might be also the more advanced movie editing/mp3 extraction software are more optimized for VOB's (video), AVI, MPG, etc, since they have been around/used longer, and probably need convert to those formats (during processing) to extract better results.

Agent_24
05-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Because it's a pretty horrible format if you want to do anything else with it besides watch it in your browser.

Most of the time the quality is terrible though, I wouldn't bother even downloading them, let alone convert them for any reason.

The new HD MP4 video that Youtube offers is a different story though

bevy121
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
with k-lite codec pack you can use the old wmp to watch just about anything, including flv files

Suprimer
12-05-2010, 02:43 AM
I use the program Macvide VideoFlash Converter, to me has very much helped.

Roger Hunt
12-05-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/ free studio has a free group of programs 22 that can help you do all sorts of things with most video file types

GameJunkie
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
ipods dont play .flv files so thats why i re-encode them with handbrake