PDA

View Full Version : Noisy case fan - help my ears are bleeding

Morgenmuffel
03-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentleman

My case fan was making one heck of a racket, to the point it is almost too loud to sit in front of the computer, this has been going on for ages, but normally it seems to shut up after 30mins.

I have tried all the obvious things like dusting it out, the screws holding it in wont tighten any more, infact i have loosened one screw half a turn and the noise is gone completely, which seems strange to me as i assumed a fan that is loose would make more noise.

Anyway my questions is, is it ok to leave it slightly loosened, it has always been done up tight (since 2004), it is still blowing air out, or is the whole blonkin thing going to go splat bang kapow kaput and die

pctek
03-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Probably the bearings. Replace it.

Thebananamonkey
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I'd replace it.

Go with a high CFM/low RPM model. It will be reasonably quiet whilst still keeping your PC cool.

The Scythe S-Flex range is good. The 800RPM one would probably be enough for most people and, if their measurements can be believed, at 8.7dBA should be pretty much silent.

Sweep
03-05-2010, 06:18 PM
It would help if it was explained where this fan was in the case and what size it is.

Thebananamonkey
04-05-2010, 05:44 PM
It would help if it was explained where this fan was in the case and what size it is.

If it's blowing air out as he says then it's almost certainly a rear fan. You could reasonably assume then that it's either an 80mm or a 120mm.

Although his problem is the same regardless of size and location so I'm not sure why you ask.

Sweep
04-05-2010, 05:58 PM
If it's blowing air out as he says then it's almost certainly a rear fan. You could reasonably assume then that it's either an 80mm or a 120mm.

Although his problem is the same regardless of size and location so I'm not sure why you ask.

I asked because I have a case fan here which I could donate if it fits etc.

I also live in the South Waikato.

wainuitech
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Replace the Fan - what will have happened, is when you loosened the screws, it changed the housing shape slightly, over a period of time the bearing will have worn a grove in their casing, by unscrewing a screw, they shifted position ever so slightly - going quiet -- Sooner than later the noise will restart.