PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Paritions

smurf
02-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Excuse my ignorance but my question is related to the way my hard drive is partitioned C: and D:

The capacity of whole drive is supposedly 100Gig. However the C drive is showing a capacity of 44.6GB and the D drive 45.3GB a total of 89.9GB See attachment. My question is two fold....where is the remaining 10.1GB and can I use the D drive to load programmes from downloads? As you will see this drive has by far the most available space.

DeSade
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
When you get the larger drives like 100gb you lose a certain amount.
For instance my 1000gb drives are 931gb usable space.

Yes you can load applications to the D drive, usually it requires you to choose "custom install" or "advanced install" to change it.

smurf
02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks...much appreciated:)

Sweep
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
You could repartition the drive so the C drive has more space too. That would be my preferred option.

wainuitech
02-05-2010, 10:36 PM
The HDD size you see is done in a easier number in GB - in plain english, you will have a complete HDD size in bytes.

If you open Computer or My computer ( depending on OS), right click the drive/ properties, you will see the full size in bytes.

An example - My 250GB drive - shows as 232GB - BUT in bytes it shows as the correct size - 250,056,704,000bytes.

I know which number I would prefer to remember if asked.:)

Looking at the pictures - and being a bit on the small size ( meaning hard to read the numbers correctly) , if you add up the bytes on both drives they come to roughly 96648069170 bytes -- so being an acer, there will be a small unpartitioned area.

feersumendjinn
02-05-2010, 10:41 PM
You have not 'lost' anything, have a read of this (especially the bit on Capacity Measurement)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

smurf
02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys...Sweep when you say repartition could you explain exactly what to do and whether repartitioning would have result in any loss of data already on the C drive? I have got a copy of paragon Partition Manager which I downloaded from GOTD thinking it might come in useful one day :)

Rod J
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Paragon PM will do the job nicely. It will allow you to shrink the D: drive and expand the C: drive without any loss of data. Just make sure you back up any important data first, just to be safe.

Sweep
03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Rod J explains this very well. And as said backup the data you need to save. You could also move the My Documents folder to the D: drive first.

We would need to know what O/S you use in order to give more advice on how to move that.

smurf
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks Rod J and Sweep...........My O/S is Windows XP Home

wratterus
04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I would highly recommend Easeus Partition Manager (http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm) for this task, I do it several times a week, never had any issues.

Fire it up, select the D: click move/resize, drag the left hand end of the D: to the right to create the desired amount of free space after the C:. Close the move/resize window, click on the C: and click move/resize, then drag the right hand end of the C: to fill up the free space you have just created. Close the move/resize window and click apply tasks. The program may request a restart, if it does let it reboot the PC and on startup the resize operation will be run.

smurf
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks Watterus. What edition of Easeus do you use ? The free one? :)