PDA

View Full Version : Need a brain upgrade: No knowledge on Networks

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I've done small searches and no idea where to start or how to get the information I want.

My problem is I have a new HP Presario CQ3140AN (win7 64bit) (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4009171&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=au) and a very old Omnibook XE3 (winXP 32bit) (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=66614&lang=en&cc=us).

And I really need a way to connect these two products together to enable filesharing.

I know I can go hardwire, wireless and bluetooth... but having know idea what any of those are, I don't know the best way to progress forward. I do have one bluetooth dongle, which I purchased with the computer, however no idea how to connect that and my phone together so gave it away.

Any suggestions on where to start, what's compatible, sidenotes or anything welcome.:waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Well you cant do bluetooth. Its range isnt that long. So, its either wired, or wireless. How far apart are they? What about firewalls? Any installed besides windows firewall? Have you decided WHAT you want?

Wired or wireless? I could probably help you using teamviewer remotely. But you would have to figure out which one you want to use first

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Ive been meaning to get Comodo protection for my PC, the laptop has nothing at all other than WinXP, which I believe should be disabled.

Personally I have no knowledge on what I should go in terms of wired/wireless.

Renmoo
02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
What wireless hardware have you got currently besides the bluetooth dongle? Does the laptop have a wireless function?

Cheers :)

[Edit]: And the distance between the two computers?

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 07:57 PM
How do you connect to the internet? Dialup? Broadband? Do you have a wireless modem / router?

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 08:03 PM
What wireless hardware have you got currently besides the bluetooth dongle?Currently nothing, since I don't know anything about networks, I haven't brought anything, I brought the Bluetooth thing simply cos Telecom (the shop) told me I would likely like it.
Does the laptop have a wireless function?To my knowledge no, it does have the Ethernet plug and another smaller one, however the PC only has the Ethernet plug.
And the distance between the two computers?Simply saying that means I likely will require wireless.

So in short I think we got one step lol! Thanks, now to understand everything else I need.:annoyed:

[edit=1]
@Speedy: Broadband Wired modem (Dynalink RTA1320E).

gary67
02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Is the broadband modem near enough to both computers to plug them both into it with an Ethernet cable? how many Ethernet ports are on the router? The smaller plug on the laptop is for a phone line if using dial up

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 08:20 PM
They are side by side, using the same table... at least for now. Jamuz suggestion did spark that I likely would use the laptop in my bedroom more often if I had the ability thou.

The router has one only, and no usb connector... however I do have a old one in which I can plug in and that has 1 ethernet and usb connector. To my knowledge thou, I use that to share files between pc/laptop... then again, I wouldn't know either way.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I would buy another modem/router thats got 4 ports and wireless. Since by the looks of it the RTA1320E has only got 1 port and 1 USB. And no wireless. Or you may need a switch (if you want wired). And I wouldnt use USB to connect to the internet. You'll probably get cut off, more than anything else - its not reliable. BUT, since you've got Win7, I would get connectify (http://www.connectify.me/). Since it can act as a hotspot / and an access point I think.

I dont know whats in its options. But if it supports WPA / WPA2 security, it should be OK. (As long as the laptop supports either one that is). BUT, if the laptop doesnt have wireless on it, you'll have to buy a wireless (Wi-fi) adapter first

Nomad
02-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Ive been meaning to get Comodo protection for my PC, the laptop has nothing at all other than WinXP, which I believe should be disabled.

Personally I have no knowledge on what I should go in terms of wired/wireless.

If they are next door to each other you can just use wired network cables. Like fat telephone cables. There is a box thing for the internet, some of them have 4 diff network jacks in them and some also have a wireless or 2 wireless antennas so you can connect the computers wireless.

If they are next door to each other go wired.
If they are like diff bedrooms or diff rooms go wireless unless you wanna drill thru walls and install wall sockets (think offices) or you want a loose 10(+) metre length cable with the risk of tripping people up (!).

Wired is still the preferred option for many offices. They are faster and more secure and less fluctuations. About the same price though if the computers are far away. Long network cables vs paid for wireless equipment. Offices can employ cables for a 100m length or extended to 200m with a repeater thing. :D

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 10:59 PM
If they are next door to each other you can just use wired network cables. Like fat telephone cables.This is what I would like to do, but I don't want to disconnect the internet to do so. As I believe you mean the Ethernet port. Which means I have to remove the internet connection to allow file transfer.

But it seems that is my only option at this stage. Being limited to funds, I didn't think I would need 150ish only for the modem/router, so for now that will have to do.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Where in NZ are you Anok? If youre in NZ?

Nomad
02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
This is what I would like to do, but I don't want to disconnect the internet to do so. As I believe you mean the Ethernet port. Which means I have to remove the internet connection to allow file transfer.

But it seems that is my only option at this stage. Being limited to funds, I didn't think I would need 150ish only for the modem/router, so for now that will have to do.

If you want the Internet to be independent. Meaning if the big computer is off the lappie can still go on. Just make sure your internet box thing has a few network jacks at the back of it :thumbs:
Think. You are connected so you can go online. The wife comes home and connects she can now go on without disrupting you. The son comes back from school and plugs in and he can also ...

The sharing of files and printers would also be independent. Of course if the lappie wants a file off the big computer both would have to be on ... unless you get something for that .....
At the same time you can be checking your emails, viewing Facebook, sending a print job to a shared printer and saving a downloaded cooking recipe into your wifes hard drive thru the network.

You can share printers and files with or without internet. All at the same time :D

You could even share your files and deliberately yank the skinny telephone cable out and reattach it :thumbs: Just don't yank the network cable out. Internet would be disrupted, but network won't. If you want both, don't yank either out and hope your power company doesn't get a power cut ;)

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 11:25 PM
@Speedy: I'm in southland.

@Nomad: Problem is I wouldn't know how to connect both internet and sharing. The new modem has only one port, the old modem has one ethernet and one usb connector.

And linking the PC eithernet to eithernet isn't working (if that's what you where meaning before).

[edit]
And I'm still sure it wont allow pc file sharing.

Nomad
02-05-2010, 11:33 PM
@Nomad: Problem is I wouldn't know how to connect both internet and sharing. The new modem has only one port, the old modem has one ethernet and one usb connector.

[edit]
And I'm still sure it wont allow pc file sharing.

The easiest way is to get a NEW box that has multiple generally (4) jacks at the back of it, unfortunately that is $100. Without the wireless feature.

There is one way. Let's say the big dude is connected to this box of yours for internet. I think you can install a 2nd network card into the big computer to network with the laptop. Windows has Internet Sharing software and it also supports sharing of files, hard drives, printers :D

Another option is to buy a USB cable and connect the two computers that way, no 2nd network cable needed.

This method both computers need to be on b/c you are peggy backing off the big dude.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Hmm ok. Well yup you'll either need a modem / router with more ports. Or a switch with 4+ ports on it to share files and the net. Probably the cheapest way you could do it, is to buy a wireless adapter (hopefully your laptop supports USB 2). And install connectify on the other PC. Then it may work wirelessly

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 11:36 PM
That last part I do know, it [laptop] doesn't support usb 2.

I think I might just leave it then, I didn't realise the price of such devices. And it sounds like I could really benefit from a laptop upgrade, which isn't likely for a while at least.

Thanks for the time in reading thou, I will keep this in mind for the future.

Nomad
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
USB cable perhaps between the two.
Or else a 2nd network card into the big computer and network the 2 to each other that way.

Or else spend $100 for a modem router (cabled only) or $150 for wireless feature. Then if the lappie does not support wireless you could add a PC CARD at another cost of $50 :(

AnokFero
02-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Will that work without usb 2.0 on the laptop thou?

Nomad
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
For those in the know how:
Would a switch work? Connected to the router to provide more jacks? :confused:

Nomad
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Will that work without usb 2.0 on the laptop thou?

Don't quote me on that but can someone else confirm that?
If it would work that would be grand b/c USB 1.0 should be decent enough for most internet usage.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 11:46 PM
For those in the know how:
Would a switch work? Connected to the router to provide more jacks? :confused:

Should, all you do is, connect the ethernet from the modem to it. Then connect the ethernet from the laptop to the switch.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Don't quote me on that but can someone else confirm that?
If it would work that would be grand b/c USB 1.0 should be decent enough for most internet usage.

It may work, but it may not be fast enough for wireless

feersumendjinn
03-05-2010, 12:05 AM
FYI, there is a wireless driver listed on that website linked to in the original post, for the laptop. :2cents:

Nomad
03-05-2010, 12:23 AM
It may work, but it may not be fast enough for wireless

If OP don't want to spend more bucks, maybe a USB cable would do as a cable solution. That's if USB1.1 works peer to peer.