PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Microphone/Audio System

GrahamB
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I recently had a major problem resulting from trying to load PGP 7 . At the time my microphone worked OK on Skype.

Now, having had the OS reinstalled, the microphone does not work.

The problem is not with the actual headset, as it works OK on my Laptop.

The computer is an HP 7100(?) running XP Pro SP2

Any ideas or assisance would be appreciated

TFYH

GrahamB

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Have you installed the audio drivers, since you reinstalled Windows? You have to install these, so the sound will work

GrahamB
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I haven't. I have no separate disks for Realtek drivers, and as the audio output works OK ( I can hear my earphones and speakers, and listen to YouTube and audio files) I had assumed they were OK.

I suppose it is best to go to realtek online and look for any upgrades.

Any other suggestions?

THYH
GrahamB

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Did you use the restore partition if its got one?? Or did you reinstall it with an XP cd?? Go to device manager and see what hasnt been installed (it'll show a ? for whatever it is)

Sweep
02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
I would check that the mic is not muted. If you have output this would suggest your sound drivers are loaded. Microphones are very often muted by default.

GrahamB
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Speedy, I had it done by a Tech company, and they used a CD. Nothing shows up as uninstalled.

i removed the file and reinstalled a new copy from Realtek and it has made no difference.

Sweep, thanks for your input. I have checked the 'Mute' before and after reinstalling the realtek driver. Still not working.

I appreciate you help.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Dont know then. Only other thing it maybe is if youre using a webcam with built in mic (or something else thats installed / connected, and can be used as a mic). Its the default. Which is why the mic isnt working

Sweep
02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Have you tested the mic using sound recorder rather than Skype?

Perhaps open device manager and do a screen shot and post same at imageF1.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Or get teamviewer. Then send the ID and password to me in a PM. I'll see whats going on

Sweep
02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
That sounds like a good idea Speedy.

GrahamB
02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Have you tested the mic using sound recorder rather than Skype?

Perhaps open device manager and do a screen shot and post same at imageF1.

Hi Sweep, yes I've checked that out, despite the fact that the microphone works with Skype on one computer but not on another.

TFYH

GrahamB
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Or get teamviewer. Then send the ID and password to me in a PM. I'll see whats going on

Greater trust has no man!

Teamviewer is one of the apps that did not get loaded back, but I have it on Backup, so I will load it, remind myself how to use it, and PM you as suggested.

Many thanks.

Probably will be Monday before I get it done.

Regards

GrahamB

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Install / run it. You'll see the ID and password. Send both to me in a PM. I'll check it out, once you're ready. Download it again if its not the latest version. Your version is probably old (its up to 5.0.8232 now)