PDA

View Full Version : Getting email on 3 machines at random

Digby
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Guys

This is probably a silly question.

But I use email a lot on my desktop.

I am setting up a home network with a laptop and another desktop,

I want to use Mozilla Firebird as Windows 7 does not have an email client !

My question is, what is the implication of checking my email on one machine on one day and on another machine the next day ? (I want access to all of my old emails)

How can I set up my network so that incoming email goes to one folder ? and the others access it ?

Or does this not need to be done ?

KarameaDave
02-05-2010, 11:55 AM
With Thunderbird, on all machines but one I go
into Account settings>Server settings and tick Leave messages on server
then I tick Until I delete them.
This means that on one machine I collect all incoming email
but on the others i can only access the ones I've opened on that one.
(but you could sync the email folders with something like Syncback.)

wainuitech
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Easiest way unless you have an exchange server - is as per KarameaDave's advice.

What you do is on ALL the PC's , in their email clients, select leave a copy on Server. You can leave for X number of days or manually delete them.

That way if lets say PC1 downloads the mail, then a day later PC2 goes into the mail, they will come through to PC2 , same if you have other PC's all using the same email account.

Once the mail comes through to a PC, the next time that PC looks for mail, if the mails are still on the server, and have already come through, they wont come through again to that PC.

UNLESS you delete certain mails from the inbox, then they will come back through (the deleted ones) - but they will be available to other PC's to download.

Edited:

One customer I had to reinstall their laptop earlier this year that wouldn't boot ( dead drive), they had it set up as per above, they did tell me they had left copies on the server - :thumbs: entered in their email account and holy :eek: 4000 + mails came steaming in from well over a year ago.

Safari
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
You could also set it up to use IMAP instead of POP3

psycik
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
And AFAIK the windows mail client is now bundled as part of Windows Live (MSN etc). So it's a download like firefox/thunderbird is.

Use IMAP, this means all you emails are held at the servers and only downloaded to your machine when opened for reading. Depends on your mail server of course. Gmail however is about 7 gb I think. Most nz hosted places, like xtra etc, are about 20 mb.

Safari
02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
And AFAIK the windows mail client is now bundled as part of Windows Live (MSN etc). So it's a download like firefox/thunderbird is.

Use IMAP, this means all you emails are held at the servers and only downloaded to your machine when opened for reading. Depends on your mail server of course. Gmail however is about 7 gb I think. Most nz hosted places, like xtra etc, are about 20 mb.

Do Xtra only have a 20MB quota? That is terrible, that is only 2 large emails.
I would think 100MB or more would be more the norm for most NZ ISPs

psycik
02-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Do Xtra only have a 20MB quota? That is terrible, that is only 2 large emails.
I would think 100MB or more would be more the norm for most NZ ISPs

It very well may have been increased to that...I haven't used an ISP based email since the days when they were 20 mb and you got 5 accounts. On switching to tcom 2 years ago I've only jsut activated my xtra email recently to take advantage of free flickr pro.

I've been on my own domain for about 5 years, and recently google apps = 7 gb per user (up to 50 users)

pcuser42
02-05-2010, 09:33 PM
You could also set it up to use IMAP instead of POP3

As long as you have a Gmail account :D

There is a way to "add" IMAP to ISP email using Gmail :thumbs:

psycik
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
As long as you have a Gmail account :D

There is a way to "add" IMAP to ISP email using Gmail :thumbs:

Most ISPs worth their salt will have imap access as well. Paradise used to, think xtra does. Not sure about the others, never used them. Moving to a gmail account/or domain account however i think is the best idea and it means if you ever switch isp you don't have to change your email address (apart from that first time).

pcuser42
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Xtra doesn't, hence why I was able to figure out the Gmail + ISP email thing. :)