PDA

View Full Version : Sasser.A worm

DeSade
01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I got a friend who has got a older computer out of storage and the boot just keeps cycling around.

I suspect its this.

http://threatinfo.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?vname=WORM_SASSER.A

Can anyone advise how to fix this worm when you can't boot into windows.
Haven't tried anything yet thought I would get a head-start on the advice.

First stop is safe mode.

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Remove the hdd put it in a working system, then scan it. Will it boot into safe mode? See if last known good config works. What version of windows is on it?

DeSade
01-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Will not boot to safe mode, and will not get as far as choosing last config.
Its on XP.

He has decided to wipe it and install Windows 7.

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 09:31 PM
That'll fix it :p

Sweep
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Yep. Provided the hardware will run Win 7 and the chipset drivers are available.

DeSade
01-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Computer is not that old, only been in storage for a month.

Sweep
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Computer is not that old, only been in storage for a month.

In the original post you said it was an older computer.

"I got a friend who has got a older computer out of storage and the boot just keeps cycling around."

Hence my question. If I buy a brand new PC and store same for a month does that make it old? For all I knew it may have been a 1995 vintage.

DeSade
01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
In the original post you said it was an older computer.

"I got a friend who has got a older computer out of storage and the boot just keeps cycling around."

Hence my question. If I buy a brand new PC and store same for a month does that make it old? For all I knew it may have been a 1995 vintage.

Yeah I made the assumption when I posted that that storage meant old.
I was wrong.

Sweep
01-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Please note that when I asked it was with the best of intentions and to help hopefully.
Installing a new O/S will remove crap installed previously along with any malware or viruses.

DeSade
01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Please note that when I asked it was with the best of intentions and to help hopefully.
Installing a new O/S will remove crap installed previously along with any malware or viruses.

Of course, it was my mistake not yours :)