PDA

View Full Version : Installing XP, cant bcos - Setup cannot find previous version...

CCF
01-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey there guys

A bit stumped on this error that I keep getting.

While installing WinXP Home on this pc that I was fixing, the power went off. The stage where it went off was at the stage where the setup was preparing the hard drive for formatting into NTFS. Now ever since that incident, I keep getting an error after the page where I hit F8 to agree to the license agreement.

The error says something like this "Setup cannot find previous version of Windows, please insert the full version of Windows XP, 2000, 98, 95 or NT"

I have tried:
1- A different XP installation disc
2- Removed the hdd partition so that it does not have any partition on the disc
3- Used another pc to create a NTFS partition on the hdd.

All that I have tried resulted in the same error after I press F8.

Of the many times that I have installed Xp, this is the first. I have searched the net, but no luck. Some say it is due to the disc is an upgrade type, not standalone, I KNOW my disc is standalone because I have done over countless amount of fresh new installation using this disc. As well, the very disc works no problem in VmWare.

So yeah guys, any suggestions?

Much appreciated in advance :)

WarNox
01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Are you installing to a partition or onto the whole hdd?

jwil1
01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Is this an upgrade version of Windows?

CCF
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Its one hard drive with 1 partition. Have tried with no partition so that I can create it in windows installation, and have also tried with NTFS partition built (built using another pc). Both method had no luck

CCF
01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Nope not an upgrade. Pure standalone/Full installation of Windows XP Home. And Yes I am sure of this as I have done this countless time, hence why I am stumped in such an error. As well, I can use the same disc in VMWare with no problem.

jwil1
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Try slaving the HD and doing a full format on it...

CCF
01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Hmm, interesting idea, though the thing is at the moment I cant get to the screen where I can format the hard drive. The only way I can format the hard drive is on another pc. Or did you mean that I should format it on another pc while the hdd is in slave mode?

CCF
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Just to note, the very same disc/version/setup have worked on the very same pc, this error occurred right after that fateful power trip incident. However I cant figure out what is changed or what is wrong.

The hdd does work as I can format it and use it on another pc :S

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Pull the battery then put it back. See what that does. Then reconfigure the BIOS settings

CCF
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Lol, just did the battery thing, now the comp wont even load for more than 5seconds. After 2-3 seconds the computer just shuts off.

Prior to this, the situation was one of those that it worked fine the night before, then the next morning it just wouldnt start.

The computer is an old hp pavillion 500.

Bryan
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Maybe a power spike has affected the innards!

Sweep
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Hmm, interesting idea, though the thing is at the moment I cant get to the screen where I can format the hard drive. The only way I can format the hard drive is on another pc. Or did you mean that I should format it on another pc while the hdd is in slave mode?

Is the computer set to boot first from CD in the bios?

If so then boot from the CD. I'm confused.

wainuitech
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Maybe a power spike has affected the innards! Without going into details -- Possible from experience. (I'll explain later)

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Did you reconfigure the settings then save them?

Sweep
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Another point is that the hard drive may have finished up with an unrecognised file format.

Solution in that case is to use a Linux CD to boot off and repartition the hard drive.

CCF
01-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey ya guys

Sorry for the delay, had some other work to do. So yeah back to the computer.

Powerspike, definitely a possibility. Though I'll give a few more go before classifying this as unfixable by traditional methods.

As for the drive settings, I have tried all combinations, Primary cable had hdd on master & cdrom on slave, viceversa. And Secondary cable with Hdd on master and optical on slave & vice versa.

As for motherboard settings, well, I can no longer get into the bios. From the moment I press the power button to it shutting down, its like 3 seconds. I dont see anything on the screen at all.

As for the unrecognised file format? What do you mean? Could you explain it further? I have placed the hard drive on another system, and used NTFS and tried installing. As well I have also tried with no partition on the harddrive, as in I actually removed the partition so I can do it in the windows installation. But both are no go.

PinoyKiw
01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Maybe barking up the wrong tree but........

You pulled the battery and replaced it and now it won't boot. Have you tried replacing the battery with a new battery instead.?

Everything you have tried so far has been aimed at the hard drive that you were installing before the power went out.

And it appears that the hard drive in question works / readable if it is slaved into another system.

So, have you tried replacing that hard drive with another good hard drive in the system you are trying to fix, might narrow down whether the problem is the hard drive or some thing else with the computer you are fixing.

With the removal of the battery, maybe the bios has been reset in some way.

Have you tried booting with no battery at all. I had a computer which would boot up without the battery, you could still access the Bios, cannot remember how far into windows it would boot. Worth a try.

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 08:07 PM
With the removal of the battery, maybe the bios has been reset in some way.

Thats the point of removing the battery. It WILL reset everything. You'll have to reconfigure the settings. It maybe trying to boot from something that doesnt exist

Sweep
01-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Can I assume that now there is no POST? If so then dead PSU or motherboard. If you can't access the BIOS then there is a hardware problem.

PinoyKiw
01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Thats the point of removing the battery. It WILL reset everything.

I didn't word it very well. Yes, I agree with you, removing the battery resets which is what I should have put in my reply. That is what happens when you are changing bubs smelly nappy and reading F1 same time........:D

feersumendjinn
01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Ewww!
Hope you didn't get **it on the keys.

CCF
02-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Hey ya guys

Yeah I havnt replaced the battery with a fresh new one, though will give that a go, and will def give the comp a boot without the batt as well, funny enough I've never tried that before.

Though as for a replacing the hdd, if only i had another IDE hdd. Atm im testing the hdd via my IDE-USB adapter, so can read/write files off it with no problem. However have not done a thorough test into it with the manufacture app.

Though as for reconfiguring due to the removal of the battery, how would I reconfig the system without the ability to get into the bios? I have all the default devices plugged in, 1x hdd, 1x cdrom & 1x floppy, everything is like how it was. Though prior to removal the battery, I have tried resetting everything in the bios back to default, that went without a hitch, though didnt solve anything.

But yeah, will post back asap once i get some more results.

Much appreciated for everyone's input :)

CCF
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Well guys after a good night sleep and some straight forward thinking, the pc is up and going now. Below is what I did to get the final outcome.

Issue #1: PC Boots for 5s before shutting down
Fix: This one was really by luck, initially the pc would boot without anything displaying on the screen, though for some odd reason after a few boots a message popped up. Suggesting the user to press F1 to get into the bios to config the settings. Once I got into the bios, it was a matter of setting the bios settings back to default. Once this was done, the pc booted with no problem.

Comment: I thought removing the battery reset everything by to fail-safe default. Why does the user have to go into the bios manually and set it back to default? It makes no sense.

Issue #2: The error "Setup cannot find previous version of windows..."

Fix:Well I knew my disc was not the problem, so it must had been the hardware, though where in the pc that thinks my disc was an upgrade was beyond my imagination. But of course with the resetting of the CMOS setting, that fixed everything. The installation went through license agreement page without a hitch. However this did not solve the initial error that I was getting, where the actual windows installation fails upon its first reboot.

Issue #3: Windows installation fails due to missing parameter (occurs right after windows reboots after it copied the necessary files onto the hdd)

Fix: Searched on google for the parameter issue. After a few random posts and suggestions, some one suggested using different optical drive. And what did you know? It worked! The optical drive that i was using was a few years old now, how in the world it fails to set some parameters but yet manages to copy all the necessary files without any problems was beyond my guess. If any one have any comments on this, please post. I dont understand how an optical drive can copy all these misc files w/o a hitch, yet for a specific file it just would not read (and yes I have tried multi identical discs)

So yeah, all is well now.

Much appreciated again for everyone's input :)

Sweep
02-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for posting the update. It may help with any others that have similar problems.

WarNox
02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Comment: I thought removing the battery reset everything by to fail-safe default. Why does the user have to go into the bios manually and set it back to default? It makes no sense.

Some PCs have a jumper on the motherboard which you have to change to reset all the BIOS settings. ie. The for the password reset on a Dell dx530 (i think).

Issue #3: Windows installation fails due to missing parameter (occurs right after windows reboots after it copied the necessary files onto the hdd)

Fix: Searched on google for the parameter issue. After a few random posts and suggestions, some one suggested using different optical drive. And what did you know? It worked! The optical drive that i was using was a few years old now, how in the world it fails to set some parameters but yet manages to copy all the necessary files without any problems was beyond my guess. If any one have any comments on this, please post. I dont understand how an optical drive can copy all these misc files w/o a hitch, yet for a specific file it just would not read (and yes I have tried multi identical discs)

Yeah some things just don't make sense. 2 days ago I was using a USB A to USB B cable from a TomTom (GPS) to put some files on my external HDD. The cable worked fine in every computer but my W7 one. I changed the cable to a Canon camera one and that fixed the issue :) Good luck trying to explain that one :D

Glad all is fixed!!