PDA

View Full Version : Help with a choice to fix a issue

DeSade
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
So I am finally building the computer that I have been posting about for a while and I have struck a problem.

The Mega Shadow is covering two of the ram slots :horrified

So my choices are-

Remove the Mega Shadow and install the stock Intel cooler so I can seat all 12gb of ram
Seat 8gb of ram and leave the Mega Shadow in place

I am loath to remove the Mega but there might also be another problem with the ram. Its triple channel ram and all 12gb was brought as a pack, so I am not sure I CAN split it up and only install 8gb.

What do I do?

ronyville
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Are you planning on using 12GB of RAM. If not than 8GB should be fine.

DeSade
01-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I brought 12gb as a triple channel pack, its not the amount that matters (thou rather use it all) its the fact is triple channel and I am not sure if I can separate that

DeSade
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Never mind its just a cooler, I have removed it.

On a related note, what do you use to remove thermal compound?

gary67
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
kitchen towel, I'm not sure if you can use isopropyl or not but don't see why not. I have always just wiped it off with kitchen towel

Agent_24
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I think Isopropyl is fine, but I use ArctiClean myself.

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Is it similar to this ? (http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/566409-official-prolimatech-club-updated-1-11-a-7.html) Have you tried turning it around ?

DeSade
01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Not similar, same.
I didn't occur to me to turn it till about an hour ago when I was packing up the pieces and realized the mount was square, I could have kicked myself :horrified

There are obstructions on the other sides,so at this stage I am not sure if it will fit the other way either, but going to give it a shot tomorrow.

I would like to remove that CPU fan if I can, it will quieten down the system quite a bit.

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 10:52 PM
If you do decide to turn it around (to see if you can use the ram). Just make sure the CPU fan connector can reach the mobo header. And if its still in the case, I would take it out. It'll be easier.

DeSade
01-05-2010, 11:00 PM
If I do use it there is no CPU fan, there will be a fan on the heatsink but thats a molex one.

I spent 3 hours today on cable management, I ain't taking it out even if it takes me more time to test the fit tomorrow, I have enough access, the case has a nice large hole at the back for just this purpose.

The only thing that worries me is the board has vertical heatsinks built in around three sides of the CPU (side 4 is the ram) but I "think" there is enough clearance.