PDA

View Full Version : Deploying XP through WDS

jwil1
30-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

At work we are migrating to Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 at the end of this year :banana . I am looking at a product called WDS (Windows Deployment Services) from MS to image the clients (close on 500). It works great for Windows 7 - everything "just works". However, we have about 40 odd machines that can't win Windows 7, so they will continue to run XP for the time being. This is the (main) thorn in my side at the moment about getting a reliable imaging solution going.

The capture technique (creating a 'Capture' image and booting from PXE to load it) I'm using will only detect or upload Windows 7 or Vista-style sysprepped images (then uploads them to WDS as a .WIM image file). This is fine for the 7 images, but when I try it on an XP machine, it won't detect the sysprepped XP image at all. I suspect this is because XP syspreps differently to 7.

The question is - how can I upload the XP images to the WDS server as a .wim? :help:

george12
30-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi all,

At work we are migrating to Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 at the end of this year :banana . I am looking at a product called WDS (Windows Deployment Services) from MS to image the clients (close on 500). It works great for Windows 7 - everything "just works". However, we have about 40 odd machines that can't win Windows 7, so they will continue to run XP for the time being. This is the (main) thorn in my side at the moment about getting a reliable imaging solution going.

The capture technique (creating a 'Capture' image and booting from PXE to load it) I'm using will only detect or upload Windows 7 or Vista-style sysprepped images (then uploads them to WDS as a .WIM image file). This is fine for the 7 images, but when I try it on an XP machine, it won't detect the sysprepped XP image at all. I suspect this is because XP syspreps differently to 7.

The question is - how can I upload the XP images to the WDS server as a .wim? :help:

You can make a .wim image of a drive yourself using ImageX, a tool found on any WinPE CD. However, I do not if such an image will be recognized by WDS and will work without modification. I suggest trying it, all you have to lose is an hour.

jwil1
30-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks, will try that :)

jwil1
30-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Update - I managed to upload the image to WDS using ImageX + WinPE. But when I try to deploy it, I get an error:

Install Windows

Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupted or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570

[OK]

Might it be because I'm using a Windows 7 'installer' for an XP build??

george12
01-05-2010, 01:20 AM
I had a look on Google and confirmed that the method I told you does work - however you might need to do some Googling yourself of wait for someone with more knowledge than I to post.

SolMiester
01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

Hi, I have this running at work with XP images, PM me later if you still need help!

jwil1
04-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Update: I have managed to get XP going through WDS, just by using ImageX and copying the WIM to the server (thanks George12)

Next question - I need to inject some drivers into the image. I have set WDS up at work (on a dev network) but in the WDS console, I can't see the Drivers folder :(

Not sure what I've done wrong - as it was working fine in the virtual environment I was testing in at the start of this thread... any ideas??

SolMiester
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Update: I have managed to get XP going through WDS, just by using ImageX and copying the WIM to the server (thanks George12)

Next question - I need to inject some drivers into the image. I have set WDS up at work (on a dev network) but in the WDS console, I can't see the Drivers folder :(

Not sure what I've done wrong - as it was working fine in the virtual environment I was testing in at the start of this thread... any ideas??

Did you generalise the XP hardware platform?...as advised, XP is not agnostic, setting generic device ID's will allow the physical box to boot.
However in most cases, my boxes were all Intel CPU and the intel chipset driver was good for all.

jwil1
04-05-2010, 11:15 PM
NVM, just read that you can only inject drivers if the WDS server is 2008 R2... problem solved