PDA

View Full Version : defaults-- xtra and gmail

effie c
30-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi

I am using W 7 and have had good feelings and vibes about it- it is great

However I am intrigued as to why xtra, set as default, loses mail to g mail - to the point one would think g mail was set as default-- and no mail will end up in xtra at all, sometimes it sends a copy to either-duplicated.

Sometimes mail will come in correctly to xtra and sometimes gmail held the only copy of the e mail as if xtra did not exist- requiring me to check each and every e mail for duplication or not

Any ideas?

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
30-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I would just add xtra, and forward the emails from gmail (from the gmail site), to your xtra account. So when you do get gmail email, you'll see / get it. With whatever email client you're using

Sweep
30-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I use Outlook with Xtra and Gmail.

Outlook is configured to receive from Xtra only. Gmail is configured to forward to the Xtra address.

CYaBro
30-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I would go the other way and configure Gmail to retrieve the email from Xtra's server - Log in to Gmail and go to the settings - Accounts and import and add a pop3 mail account.

linw
30-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Didn't know gmail could import from another pop account. I would go this way as well as you can't beat gmail's spam filter. You also get the benefit of never having to delete any of the xtra emails if you don't want to.

effie c
01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for that--in fact I have long set up gmail forwarding a copy to xtra-it still appears to override the fact that xtra is set as default
thanks again
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
01-05-2010, 02:10 PM
You'll get both at the same time. Thats the point of forwarding it from the Gmail site. It wont override anything (if you haven't added it in whatever email program). Whatever arrives @ Gmail, you'll get in your normal email. It saves you going to the Gmail site. And if your ISP supports IMAP, once you add Gmail, you'll get the folders (similar to what you get on the Gmail site)

Safari
01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
When you have an email account setup as default the default, it has nothing to do with receiving mail.
All it means is when you send an email it will send from the default account email address that is setup.

I you want to send using the other email address you either select it from the From field in the compose window or you just change the other account to be the default.

Sweep
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
OK. Time to get serious Effie_C.

What O/S and Email client do you run?

Is the Email client set up to download from the Xtra address only or is it set to download from Xtra and Gmail with Xtra being the default?

Are you suggesting that any mail sent to the Gmail address can't be seen in your Xtra account or some are but some are not?

gary67
01-05-2010, 05:45 PM
You can have them both download into your email client if you set them both up as accounts in said client (Outlook, outlook express, thunderbird, windows mail) but one has to be the default for sending. I have used both gmail and Vodafone mail like this, I didn't bother to set one up to forward to the other as I could see no point or even anything to be gained from it. So you need to decide on what option you want to use. Ditch the forwarding and have them download separately that way you know your getting them