PDA

View Full Version : drvmain.sdb

toddh
29-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi, wifes laptop, Blue of screen of death followed by reboot and a message, unable to boot as file windowns/apppatch/drvmain.sdb is corrupt or missing

Any ideas ? Please advise.

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2010, 08:36 PM
What version of windows is on it, and did it happen. after installing SP2 or 3 (if its XP)? Looks like that file usually hangs before it gets into XP. If you cant see what the bluescreen is saying, reboot press F8, select auto restart. Tell us what the bluescreen says

toddh
29-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi speedy, Win XP, I think SP2 but cant remember if auto updates are installed, antivirus (avast) installed and up to date, just started for no apparent reason

toddh
29-04-2010, 08:47 PM
And to make matters more fun, if I press any key it just reboots and does it all again

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2010, 08:51 PM
So the only thing its doing is crashing not hanging before you boot into XP??

Reboot. Press F8, then select last known good config. See what happens

Will it boot into safe mode?

toddh
29-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi, when booting into last known good config it repeats the problem, putting the message up in what looks like the DOS screen during the bootup phase, tried then booting into safe mode and same problem, keeps saying use the Windows disc to repair and select R when doing so

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Have you got another computer with XP on it? And have you got the XP cd?

toddh
29-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi, no other XP Computer, I have the acer recovery disc that came with it originally but worried this might overwrite and clear the disc itself

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2010, 09:17 PM
The recovery disk will probably restore it. Which will probably wipe whats on it.

Do you know what kind of hdd is on it?? Another thing you can try is remove the hdd and put it on a working system / desktop if you have 1. And if its IDE jumper it first. If its SATA, the desktop (if you have 1) will have to have SATA connections). I could probably replace this file if you get teamviewer. But you would have to remove it as above first.

toddh
29-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks Speedy, not sure what sort of HDD is on it, a pretty crappy one I think as I often hear it polling or clunking along even when not being used.

Thanks for the advise though

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Hmm well thats probably the only way youre going to fix it (without wiping whats on it). Turn it on, press Del or whatever key to get into the BIOS

Under the hdd section, what does it say for the hdd. Where in NZ are you?